[Theaterfacultystaff] Update on Matt

Cornish, Rachel cornishr at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 8 09:16:34 EDT 2019

Hello all,
I'm happy to report that Matt was discharged from the hospital yesterday and we were able to avoid surgery. We are still in Cleveland to allow him some recovery time and are working with the Clinic on an outpatient basis for tests and consults. Matt's parents have joined us from Denver and are helping out with August.

The diagnosis for Matt was surprising, but linked to a complex set of conditions and a disease that he's known about and dealt with since childhood. It seems that the future will involve some significant lifestyle changes and adjusting will be challenging. That said, none of these should affect his ability to teach, father, spouse, and lead an otherwise fulfilling life. We will have semi-regular appointments with the folks up here to manage everything but are pleased that Cleveland Clinic has excellent GI and urology departments.

Matt and I are ever grateful for those who have reached out and have kept us in their thoughts. I expect that we'll be back in Athens by the weekend.

Yours,
Rachel Cornish
Director of External Relations, College of Fine Arts, Ohio University
Founding Producing Director, Tantrum Theater
My gender pronouns: she/her/hers (what's this?)<https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/>

T: 740.593.2436
Cell: 347.432.9858 (emergencies only please)

Join me in celebrating the first-ever OHIO Giving Day! Visit www.OHIOGivingDay.com<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.OHIOGivingDay.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7C08b860424e604b4462f608d6bc246c57%7Cf3308007477c4a70888934611817c55a%7C0%7C0%7C636903261953925947&sdata=NrSTsAMiTBSBdbc4axCPLoCT0gCobQadsHA6mCjxUSg%3D&reserved=0> on April 18 to make your gift.

 [cid:image001.png at 01D4E9FE.FC5A5350]

I am writing let you know that Matt has been admitted to the Cleveland Clinic. He has an extensive history of serious GI issues and has had many surgeries. Matt's last surgery was about seven years ago, and he hadn't had any problems until a few weeks ago. Things escalated earlier this week and by yesterday we were weighing our options. We ended up driving to the Emergency Room at OSU (though this is more a crisis and less of an acute emergency), and from there we were transferred to the Cleveland Clinic. Matt is bored, frustrated, and uncomfortable, but okay for the time being. The Cleveland Clinic is #2 in the country for their GI department and we are in good hands.

Matt's parents will arrive from Denver tomorrow and will bring August up to Cleveland. We have Skye Robinson Hillis house/dog sitting for us. For the time being we do not need any logistical help, but remain grateful for such supportive colleagues and friends. I'll keep you posted as things progress, though we may not know what is happening for a day or two more. Matt is on and off email and we both have our cell phones with us should you wish to send him a message.

Warmly,

Rachel Cornish
Director of External Relations, College of Fine Arts
Founding Producing Director, Tantrum Theater
My gender pronouns: she/her/hers (what's this?)<https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/>

<image004.png>
Jennings House, Second Floor
54 Union Street
1 Ohio University Drive
Athens OH 45701-2979
T: 740.593.2436
Cell: 347.432.9858 (emergencies only please)
F: 740.593.0570
cornishr at ohio.edu<mailto:cornishr at ohio.edu>
www.finearts.ohio.edu<http://www.finearts.ohio.edu/>
www.facebook.com/OhioUnivFineArts<http://www.facebook.com/OhioUnivFineArts>

Join me in celebrating the first-ever OHIO Giving Day! Visit www.OHIOGivingDay.com<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.OHIOGivingDay.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7C08b860424e604b4462f608d6bc246c57%7Cf3308007477c4a70888934611817c55a%7C0%7C0%7C636903261953935947&sdata=UoBL8rpTjqx%2B5bemkCNxiQnDG0Bubw95vzgrhx6vQt8%3D&reserved=0> on April 18 to make your gift.

 <image003.png>