[Theaterfacultystaff] Implicit Gender Bias in Language

Condee, William condee at ohio.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:24:57 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

This weekend I participated in a workshop hosted by the Ping Institute for the Humanities lead by Prof. Ashwini Ganeshan (Modern Languages), which was absolutely terrific.

I am attaching the readings for the workshop, in case you are interested.

In particular, I learned a great deal about implicit bias in how we write letters of recommendation (one of the articles goes into detail about this problem). The one-page handout (attached) provides a quick summary. As an example of how we all tend to engage in these practices, Ashwini shared with the group a letter she had written before going through such a workshop, and she encouraged us to look for her phrases that carried implicit bias.

Geneva Murray, Director of the Women’s Center, also leads workshop on writing letters of recommendations. Ashwini said there is a workshop coming up soon, but I was not able to find it on the Women’s Center website. In any case, Ashwini said that Geneva leads it once per semester. I encourage you to participate—it was certainly an eye-opener for me!

In addition, though we did not have time to delve into it, she referred us to the “Project Implicit” website at Harvard, which provides self-studies for discovering one’s own unconscious biases: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

In any case, I thought you might be interested.

Sincerely yours,

Bill

William F. Condee
J. Richard Hamilton Professor of Humanities
Professor of Theater
School of Interdisciplinary Arts, Ohio University
Office: Trisolini House