[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: Saudi students in Canada

Lincoln, Michael lincolnm at ohio.edu
Fri Aug 10 12:02:18 EDT 2018

Dear Faculty,

An interesting development we all should be aware of:

Michael

From: "Lamb, Jody" <lambj at ohio.edu>
Date: Friday, August 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Subject: Fwd: Saudi students in Canada

Hi Everyone,

Feel free to share this.

Best,
Jody

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Quitslund, Beth" <quitslun at ohio.edu<mailto:quitslun at ohio.edu>>
Subject: Saudi students in Canada
Date: August 10, 2018 at 10:29:54 AM EDT

Dear ADs,

This is a heads-up about OU’s response to the unfolding situation for Saudi students pursuing their educations in Canada. As you probably know, the kingdom this week ordered all its students and their families to leave Canada by early September, though it now appears that those without government scholarships may be permitted to remain there. Even those students, however, are confused and may be concerned about political repercussions should they elect to stay.

OHIO has just signed up with FastTrackUS<http://www.fastrackus.com/> (our picture to be displayed on the website shortly), which commits us to expediting application processing for students who are displaced by unexpected events like this one. That is easier on the undergraduate side than the graduate side, simply because of our decentralized admissions decision processes and the fact that many programs do not have rolling admissions.

It would be helpful, however, if you could communicate with the programs in your area about this issue. As a matter of humanitarian good faith, programs that do have applications open continuously should look for Saudi applications and try to act promptly. If any programs who do not normally have an application cycle for spring entry wish to allow that specifically for these students, we can work with them to do that. The Graduate College will expedite our own processing of international paperwork as much as possible. There is not additional funding available for these Saudi students, but many of them do come with their own support.

Thanks,
Beth

OHIO UNIVERSITY
Graduate College