[Theaterfacultystaff] Growth Opportunities

Denhart, Daniel denhart at ohio.edu
Wed Sep 13 12:04:27 EDT 2017

God morning,
During our weekly leadership meeting with Matthew yesterday a little more clarity regarding the Growth Opportunities came to light.  I would like to share with you these clarifications.

1.        We are to consider ideas based on utilizing current resources to start the initiative with an eye toward what other resources will be needed to continue developing or sustaining the initiative.

*         In other words, additional faculty lines, start-up monies, etc. may or may not be available at the beginning of the process.

2.       In cases of curricular initiatives such as a Musical Theater offering, Matthew has instructed that we lay out the curricular requirements of the BFA Acting degree and list what the curriculum for a Musical Theater tract would include.

The hope is that there will be a good amount of cross over between the two.  Identify the remaining (unique) needs of the Music Theater curriculum and develop a plan to cover the course-load.

Three

*         Similar evaluation would apply to the changes in BA degree idea, the COFA BFA exploration idea, and the Arts Management MFA idea.

3.       With regard to the Musical Theater idea, that we include a musical in every season.   We should conceive this beginning with the same production resources we currently have for our mainstage season; perhaps using a musical/small production model in one of the semesters.

I want to remind the committees working on specific initiatives that Dean Shaftel has extended an invitation to meet with your committee to offer input and any clarity he can toward your efforts.  Please follow through with scheduling a time to meet with him.
Please provide me by Monday 9/ 18 with an Update of your committee's work thus far on this charge!

Thanks
Dan

Dan Denhart: Professor
Interim Artistic Director/Head: Theater Division
School of Dance, Film, and Theater (SoDFT)
College of Fine Arts
Ohio University

740-590-3963 (Cell)