[Theaterfacultystaff] BFA Musical Theater support

Denhart, Daniel denhart at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 1 14:46:08 EDT 2017

Colleagues,
I appreciate Charles' challenging that the following language may misrepresent the faculty stance on the Musical Theater initiative:

>From the 10/25/17 letter:
"The Curricular Initiatives being explored do not meet with unanimous support from the faculty of the Theater Division, ..."

The use of unanimous certainly seems an understatement!
As a response , I have written the following "follow-up" to Matthew. (See below)

Before I send it, does it address our concerns?  If you have additional thoughts or ideas to clarify our position, I invite you to send them my way. Please reply all in your correspondences.   I will hold off sending the follow-up until I have a sense that it meets our approval.  I would target Friday morning to send a final version to Matthew.

Thanks for your concerns
Dan

Matthew,
Today at our monthly DOT faculty meeting, the subject of the  10/25/2017 letter of support I sent regarding the initiatives going forward for Provost support may contain an element of misrepresentation regarding the actual amount of support the initiative is receiving among the faculty and staff of the Theater Division, particularly with regard to the Musical Theater track..

In the letter I wrote:
"The Curricular Initiatives being explored do not meet with unanimous support from the faculty of the Theater Division,..."

The issue is one of possible misinterpretation that "unanimous" infers that nearly all faculty are in support of the initiative.  A more accurate description is that most of the faculty are greatly concerned that our division is being categorically changed in a way we cannot sustain.

After lengthy discussion, the resolve of the faculty and staff of the Theater Division, which will be carried forward by the Musical Theater committee, is to invest an honest effort to explore the development of the Musical Theater track. The committee further requires more than the current one  month timeline to gather information, formulate plans, develop the program(s) of study, and prepare a program that will honestly reflect what we can deliver.

I request that you work with the committee to develop a timeline that supports careful planning and consideration.

Thank You
Dan

Dan Denhart: Professor
Interim Artistic Director/Head: Theater Division
School of Dance, Film, and Theater (SoDFT)
College of Fine Arts
Ohio University

740-590-3963 (Cell)