[Theaterfacultystaff] Fw: Tantrum season and professional training company auditions - December 9

Surovjak, Drew surovjak at ohio.edu
Fri Dec 1 09:48:50 EST 2017

Dear everyone,

Thank you all for the conversations we have had in the last month about your experiences with Tantrum last summer and what we are doing moving forward. This feedback is super helpful to us in our efforts to meet our goals and your expectations. Tantrum will hold another round of student auditions on Saturday, December 9 from noon to five in the Hahne—sign up on the callboard. And I can now finally tell you specifically what these auditions are for.

Here is Tantrum Theater’s third season:

  *   The Cake by Bekah Brunstetter—playing June 6-24 at the Abbey Theater in Dublin
  *   Next to Normal by Brian Yorkey and Tom Kitt—playing July 11-29 at the Abbey Theater in Dublin

Due to a much-reduced budget and what we have found to be a lack of audience for theater during the month of August in Dublin, we will only produce two shows for our mainstage season.

Student casting for our main season includes Jen and Macy in The Cake and Gabe, Natalie, and Henry in Next to Normal. Equity Membership Candidacy points may be earned for casting in the main season.

In an effort to create more opportunities for OU actors, for season three, we are also creating a diverse apprentice acting company, which will be led by a performance faculty member (other than me) and will be comprised of seven students that will have season-long employment with Tantrum. Modeled after professional training programs at Actors Theatre of Louisville and Milwaukee Rep, members of the apprentice company may work and participate in the following capacities:

  *   Performing—A wide range of possibilities exist to create original work or perform in existing performance pieces as determined by the program director and the group. The company’s work will be performed in a bare bones setting on the set of the current running mainstage show, but will be fully rehearsed and staged for performance and ideally will enjoy the involvement of the season’s assistant design team.
  *   Understudying roles for the main season—EMC points may be earned for understudying in the main season.
  *   Observing mainstage rehearsals and discussing as a group.
  *   Workshops with faculty leadership and guest artists on a range of topics including auditioning, unions, contracts, teaching, and collaboration, to name a few possibilities.
  *   Networking with all guests.
  *   Teaching in Tantrum’s summer camp theater classes for kids.
  *   Working Audience Services at the Abbey Theater in Dublin—selling tickets, ushering shows, and acting as audience liaison by making pre-show announcements and facilitating pre- and post-show talks.

This is, of course, in addition to the many technical and management positions available to students with Tantrum. Anyone interested in these opportunities should speak with Production Manager Jeanette Buck.

In order to audition for mainstage casting and for the actor apprentice program, sign up for an audition slot on the callboard. (If you already auditioned, you need not do so again to be considered for the apprentice program.) Please prepare a contemporary monologue, 90 seconds or less, and if you wish to be considered for Next to Normal, approximately 32 bars of song. No accompanist will be provided. Performance faculty may be present for the auditions. Callbacks will occur in January.

Please reach out to me with any questions or further concerns. And I very much look forward to your auditions.

Very best,

Dan

--

Daniel C. Dennis

Artistic Director

Tantrum Theater

http://tantrumtheater.org/

[http://tantrumtheater.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/tantrum-theater_profile_004.png]<http://tantrumtheater.org/>

HOME - Tantrum Theater<http://tantrumtheater.org/>
tantrumtheater.org
The Tantrum Theater is a professional theater company located within the Dublin Community Recreation Center at 5600 Post Road, Dublin, Ohio.

Lecturer of Voice and Movement

Division of Theater