[Theaterfacultystaff] Faculty request: visiting artists for Fall 2017

Delaney, Shelley delaneys at ohio.edu
Mon Aug 21 08:48:26 EDT 2017

Hi Dan:

I apologize for not getting these to you on Friday, but I was trying to see if we could set dates before I sent this. Unfortunately the dates are not set. We are waiting for confirmation from the visiting artists.

These are the two guest artists set for the fall (so far). Both of these guests are coming to Athens as a result of the Division of Theater’s partnership with The Acting Company. The partnership with  The Acting Company was made possible in part by funding from an 1804 Grant, written by David Haugen (I served as co-investigator).

Maria Aitken will visit for several days in late October or early November. She will teach master classes in British High Comedy to the MFA actors. Maria is a director, actor, teacher and writer, known principally as a director of The 39 Steps, which ran in the West End for 9 years and on Broadway for 3 years. As an actor, she has worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal National Theatre and in the West End. She has extensive film credits including A Fish Called Wanda.

  *   Dates TBA
  *   Contact Shelley Delaney or David Haugen

Alex Torra will also visit for several days, working on devised theater with a mix of actors, designers and playwrights. Principle focus is guiding the devised senior and MFA projects. Alex is a Founding Member and Associate Artist with Pig Iron Theatre Company.

  *   Dates TBA
  *   Contact Rebecca VerNooy or David Haugen

A limited amount of students or faculty would be welcomed to observe these classes, but there is not enough space for an open class.

The Performance Area will have other guests. They will be repeat guests from prior years, and are principally industry based professionals who have been instrumental in our student placement over the last half dozen years. These visitors are supported with travel, hotel and an extremely small honorarium (approximately $200). We have too little guest artist funding for guests that might be of interest and value on a broader scale. We use what little money we are allotted to strengthen the area. When we’re had visiting artists that could more greatly effect the whole, it was because we wrote a grant.

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley Delaney
Professor of Theater