[Theaterfacultystaff] Performance as Civic Practice

Condee, William condee at ohio.edu
Thu Aug 10 16:50:47 EDT 2017

Dear Friends,

One other fascinating feature of the Leadership Institute was a workshop by members of the Center for Performance and Civic Practice (http://www.thecpcp.org/). They made an interesting distinction between what they call “social practice” and “civic practice.” The nut of it is copied here from their PowerPoint:

STUDIO PRACTICE: Artists make their own work and engage with neighbors and residents as audience.
SOCIAL PRACTICE: Artists work with neighbors and residents on an artist-led vision in ways that may include an intention of social impact beyond a traditional audience experience.
CIVIC PRACTICE: Artists co-design project with neighbors and residents; the spoken intention is to serve a public partner’s self-defined needs.

I can share the full PowerPoint with anyone who is interested. I am certainly not advocating for transforming our programs, but I thought some individuals might be interested in this work.

For what it’s worth,

Bill