[Theaterfacultystaff] LGBT Center vigil and graduation cords

Biechler, Merri biechler at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 26 15:04:07 EDT 2017

Hello to all,

This past weekend we celebrated Pride Graduation where graduating students of all levels received rainbow cords to wear with their academic regalia at university commencement events.  We wanted to extend an invitation to graduates who were not able to attend Pride Graduation as I am mindful that not everyone could and/or did not know it was an event to attend.  We still have cords in the center and folks are welcome to pop in to grab one ... one does not have to be actively involved in the LGBT Center ... all academic levels (undergraduate, graduate, PhD, etc) are welcome to cords.    They can pass by Thursday from 10am to 6pm and Friday from 10am to 4pm.

The second ask for help is for a Trans Vigil we are organizing for tomorrow Thursday.  Earlier this week Chay Reed was murdered in my home city of Miami, FL ... she is the 9th trans woman to be murdered in the US this year.  I am mindful that it is last minute and that its finals and graduation but wanted to create a space to honor her life and all impacted by violence.  It will take place on Thursday at 7pm ... it is a quiet vigil and folks will be welcome to share and more importantly be in community and solidarity with each other, solidarity with Chay and her loved ones, and trans folks around the world.  We created a facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/288241734960371/ (i tagged several offices on social media if that makes it easier to share).

Many thanks for your time and help!

In solidarity

delfin

delfin bautista, msw, mdiv.
pronouns: they / them / their or just delfin
Director, LGBT Center at Ohio University
Baker University Center 354
bautista at ohio.edu<mailto:bautista at ohio.edu>  / 740.593.2515 / www.ohio.edu/lgbt<http://www.ohio.edu/lgbt>
Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and Vine ~ oulgbtcenter

"The LGBT Center advances the diversity mission of Ohio University by creating a campus and community environment inclusive and supportive of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and queerness."