[Theaterfacultystaff] Next big needs

Delaney, Dennis delaney at ohio.edu
Fri Sep 30 10:26:03 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I think our next "Big Ask" should be related to the amount of money we have to spend on our productions, as opposed to spending a ton of money on some new technological whirligig or dreaming about building a new building.  The reality is that we do 6-8 shows here ever year, and making our production budgets a small percentage larger would be a terrific way to spend some money.  Adding $5,000-6,000 to the main stage production budget might mean not having to cut that window or that roof piece or that 3rd costume you'd like the leading lady or man to wear.  But for me, even more important, it would be nice to give real support to the Style Projects and Realism Projects.  Not a ton of money, just not $50 or $100, which is basically saying to the director and designers "you're on your own, build it out of cardboard and wax paper" (not that we don't occasionally do just that).  I think increasing those budgets slightly for these productions would make the experience of doing these shows less stressful and invigorate their imaginations beyond the "let's pull it all from stock" mentality that we're in currently.

Other than that, my personal top priority would be another large rehearsal space (or two) and a green room for the students.  We desperately need both.

Dennis Delaney
Head
Professional Director Training Program
Theater Division
Ohio University School of Dance, Film, and Theater
delaney at ohio.edu
Cell:  740-541-0846