[Theaterfacultystaff] Next big needs

Denhart, Daniel denhart at ohio.edu
Thu Sep 29 14:12:29 EDT 2016

Quick thoughts which I can develop and add onto prior to the meeting.

*         The Athena backstage is apparently also only temporary.  There has been talk about getting into the Hudson Health Center building (a few years down the road)

o   What kind of spaces will we need after we move out of the backstage of the Athena and into Hudson?  Will Hudson provide these types of spaces?

o   Regardless of the backstage of the Athena, we have outgrown our scene shop and need a larger and more functional shop space with wooden floors, ample storage lay-out and assembly spaces for example.

o   Props needs a safe space for welding and metal fabrication

*         We need proper ventilation systems in any welding related shops.

*         A dedicated technology lab where we can experiment with stage automation and technology pertinent to projection, lighting, sound.

*         We will need to replace all current scene shop equipment and hand tools within the next 5 years.  Much of our equipment has been in operation since 1990 (renovation).

*         We need new stage floors in the Baker Theater and Hahne Studio Theater.  Current floors have asbestos beneath the flooring surface.

*         I would suggest that we need entirely new mainstage theater performance spaces that support larger audiences and contemporary staging ( A performing arts center?).

*         We need more storage space

*         We need a truck/vehicles and a  place to park them.

*         Faculty in the areas of Scenic Charge Artist, Master Carpenter, Projections, Lighting Design

*         Faculty or staff Theater Technologist that teaches in all Theater technology areas

*         Musical Theater faculty and staff, facilities (studios), and equipment if we decide to develop a musical theater program

*         We need more meeting spaces and intelligent classroom spaces.

More later
Dan Denhart