[Theaterfacultystaff] New Application and Scholarship Deadlines for Incoming Freshmen

Haugen, David haugend at ohio.edu
Thu Sep 1 17:34:08 EDT 2016

Hello Everyone,

As we briefly discussed at the Theater Division Retreat there are new dates concerning incoming freshman scholarships. This stems from changes nationwide and within the University. For instance: The FAFSA application is now open on Oct. 1, three months earlier. Also, Ohio University has  joined Common App which streamlines the application process and has enabled the University's Early Action Deadline to move up to Dec. 1.  Students who meet the 1st priority deadline of Dec. 1 will receive their complete financial package offer by Feb. 1, giving them a clear  picture of what attending OU will cost them. This does not mean students who apply to OU after Dec. 1 cannot receive a scholarship, only that they will not be a part of the first wave.

What this means for us: We will need to get our incoming freshman scholarship recommendations to Jennings house before the last week of January to ensure scholarship offers go to potential students along with their academic/merit scholarship packages by Feb 1. We will also need to change the language on our website, application and all printed material to reflect the new dates.

Fortunately, we will not have to move our Scholarship Day to fall semester. But we will need to submit our recommendations to Maureen within a few days after those audition/interviews. For instance: this academic year Scholarship Day is January 14. Each area will submit their recommendations that weekend to the Scholarship Committee so we can meet on Jan. 17. We will vet each submission and send them to Maureen on Jan. 18.

An incoming student can still audition/interview for scholarships after Jan. 14. We will either hold out some money for late comers or put them on a wait list.

Let me know if you have any questions.

David

David Haugen
Associate Professor