[Theaterfacultystaff] Fw: The India Theatre Programme | July 2016 Call for Applications

Surovjak, Drew surovjak at ohio.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:49:07 EST 2016

From: Pooja Pant <itpoutreach at thedramaschoolmumbai.in<mailto:itpoutreach at thedramaschoolmumbai.in>>
Date: Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 6:50 AM
To: Ohio University Theater Students
Subject: The India Theatre Programme | July 2016 Call for Applications

Dear Ohio University Theater Students,

Greetings and warm wishes for the new year.

My name is Pooja and I work with the India Theatre Programme, a theatre residency in India. The India Theatre Programme is an initiative by The Drama School, Mumbai - an organisation that works in the field of drama pedagogy in India.

Though this is the first year we're doing it, we have put a considerable amount of thought into the project, and truly hope that it will act as a strong catalyst for meaningful exchange through practice and understanding, and possibly even aid further collaborations that emerge from its process.

The objective of the residency is:

  *   to engage and explore 4 Indian performing arts forms through working with elements of them in a workshop format.

  *   to understand and explore principles of performance as put forward in ancient dramaturgical texts such as the Natyashastra, as research through practice.

  *   to open perspectives that will further enrich each participant’s personal practices in the performing arts.

  *   to act as a starting point for those seeking to explore creative collaborations with Indian traditional theatrical forms.

As you can imagine, in its inaugural year, we are keen for this to be a successful engagement, and are keen to reach out globally to as many artists and networks for artists as possible to find individuals who would want to be a part of this seminal opportunity to explore, engage and understand performance from the traditional Indian milieu through practice. We are also keen to have as many organisational partners support this project, and make it easier for performing artists and theatre makers to participate in the programme by reducing the financial obstacles to it.

If you could help us out in any capacity, in terms of helping us spread the word or your own personal guidance and feedback on the programme, I would be most grateful. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Regards, Pooja Anna Pant

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS

[cid:ii_ij0hg4rv0_152112162254a352]

The India Theatre Programme

2nd July - 31st July 2016

Pondicherry, India.

The Drama School, Mumbai invites applications from theatre makers, actors, dancers and performance artists for this intensive 4 week training and creation workshop in Pondicherry, India.

This immersive residency is for 24 individual practitioners from across the world, seeking to inform and enhance their own personal practice through understanding universal principles of performance as found in three Indian traditional performing art forms. The training will be conducted by nationally recognized masters of these forms, and guided throughout by the award winning ex-director of The National School of Drama, India’s foremost training institution for the dramatic arts.

Indian dramatic practice dates back to the 1st century BCE, if not earlier, and its fundamental principles have informed performance practices from across the world (such as Grotowski, Stanislavsky, Zarrilli and Schechner to name a just a few).

The first three weeks of the programme will be dedicated to training in the various forms and understanding the principles that can be taken into contemporary practice, the final week will be a guided creation exercises designed to assimilate and apply these learnings.

Deadline for Application: 15th March, 2016

Selection and Skype Interviews: March - April 2016

Final Selections Announced: 15 April, 2016

Residency: 2nd July, 2016 - 31st July, 2016

To express interest in attending the programme, and know more about application timelines and criterion, fees and funding options, please click here<http://thedramaschoolmumbai.in/skills/india-theatre-programme/> or write in to Ragini Khushwaha, itpcoordinator at thedramaschoolmumbai.in<mailto:itpcoordinator at thedramaschoolmumbai.in>.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IndiaTheatreProgramme/

--
Pooja Anna Pant

India Theatre Programme