[Theaterfacultystaff] The Sonnet Project

Haugen, David haugend at ohio.edu
Fri Dec 16 09:37:25 EST 2016

Hello Faculty and Staff,

The text below is being sent to the student body asking everyone available to participate in The Sonnet Project. Brian Evans will be facilitating the evenings since I'll be in rehearsal. I hope many of you can be present, and please encourage your students to attend. We're also hoping to have a few students from Kenyon and Marietta Colleges attend.

best,

David

Hello Everyone,

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, January 10-12 the Theater Division will be hosting Devin Brain and Meg Miroshnik from The Acting Company. They will be holding a workshop as part of The Ohio Consortium, developing a new piece of theater based on Shakespeare's sonnets from 7-11PM each night in The Forum Theater

Devin is the Associate Artistic Director of The Acting Company and Meg is the playwright of such works as The Tall Girls.

A number of student actors have been asked to participate, but as you'll see from Devin's description below, everyone in the room is a potential collaborator. I encourage all of you to participate. You can attend all three nights or just one. Some knowledge of the sonnets is helpful, but not a must.

Please take full advantage of this opportunity!

Devin Brain's description of the process:

"The gist of it is that we are looking to create a stage play that is inspired by / founded upon Shakespeare's sonnets.  Specifically, we are interested in the idea of the sonnets as a collection...a collection that reveals the evolution and transitions of love and romance, a collection that has defined an interpretation of romance since it was written, and a collection that has a fascinating point of view on gender and subjectivity.  The project is also intended to continue to explore the idea of fusing the vitality of the devising process with the control of a playwright's skill.  Over the course of six months we are planning a series of workshops with a variety of collaborators, with each one we will explore the sonnets themselves: how they sound, how they affect the collaborators, and what they mean to the collaborators.  We will also explore how these collaborators can use those sonnets to create unique moments of theatre.  We are interested in exploring how these sonnets sound in the mouth of men and women, artists of diverse backgrounds and ages, artists speaking to members of opposite genders, the same gender, and more generally.

>From this process Meg and I will draw inspiration as she begins to write an actual theatrical text that serves as a connective thread and foundation for listening to the sonnets.

Most immediately, we would envision the students to be involved collaboratively and in a workshop forum.  The manner in which I develop work like this means that anyone in the room is both collaborator and spectator, responsible for contributing but also in watching and responding.  There is certainly room for simple spectators, but my preference would be to allow anyone in the room to help create the moments we are working on."

David Haugen
Associate Professor
Head of BFA in Performance
Division of Theater