[Theaterfacultystaff] UCC Academic Program Review

Lincoln, Michael lincolnm at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 4 22:17:44 EDT 2016

Dear Theater Faculty and Staff,

Attached is the Academic Program Review received from David Ingram, Chair of the Program Review Committee. For the most part it broadly reflects our current state of affairs and represents our challenges accurately. Read the first page Executive Summary for the most important points, but I would urge you to read the full report if you have time. By using this report, we may be able to seize the moment and press forward with changes that we know we need to grow and thrive.

In the attached PDF, I have underlined sentences that I think are important for us to note and highlighted sentences for which I requested revision for accuracy. We will touch on this report briefly in our faculty meeting on Wednesday. If you do not have time to read it by Wednesday and want to discuss issues at the faculty meeting on April 13th, please email me with your thoughts.

All the best,

Artistic Director/Head
Theater Division
Ohio University
740 593-4818, 917 301-5173(c)

The revisions requested were detailed in an email to David Ingram and Dean Sayrs as follows:

Dear David and Elizabeth,

I have closely read the Academic Program Review. For the most part, I am
in complete agreement. I have a few changes that I would suggest for
absolute accuracy. In the attached Review Report, I have highlighted the
sentences to which the following notes refer:

1) On Page 3 in the second bullet point detailing changes since the
decision to discontinue the Monomoy summer stock program. In the second to
last sentence, I would suggest ³performances" should be replaced with
³productions". There are actually 50 performances scheduled this summer.

2) On page 5, last paragraph. Brick Monkey was founded by a group of
theater faculty members from performance, directing, playwriting and PD&T
programs. The initial idea may have come from two people, but the original
founders were many.

3) On page 7, first paragraph. The Monomoy Theater was not shut down. It
continues. I would suggest rephrasing the sentence like this: "This would
replace the Monomoy Theater summer stock program that was disassociated
with Ohio University in 2014.²

4) On page 8, first paragraph. I would suggest replacing the word ³denied²
at the end of the sentence to ³resisted². This situation is changing right
now. I just had a conversation with EHS today on this matter and our
requests for training in respiratory masks will be accommodated
henceforth.
5) Also page 8, second paragraph. It is not actually accurate that plans
are underway to renovate the space behind the Athena Cinema. The
University planning department has agreed to assess that space for our use
as a shop or storage area, but we have no commitment from them or funds to
make necessary changes to the space to make it useable. The fact that it
is unused space within 20 feet of the back of our scene shop makes it
extremely desirable to us, but we do not know at this time if our desires
are feasible.

6) On page 14. Table 3-4 is inaccurate. The MFA acting program had one
black South African male in the graduate program from 2012 to 2015.

Thank you very much for your attention to my concerns.

Sincerely,

Artistic Director/Head
Theater Division
Ohio University