[Theaterfacultystaff] Acting Company Consortium Anchor

Lincoln, Michael lincolnm at ohio.edu
Fri Dec 18 08:40:19 EST 2015

Dear Theater Faculty,

Please see the note from Freddy Arsenault of the Acting Company below.

I've been meaning to write since the conclusion of our meetings with the Acting Company last Friday. My impression was that there was a generally positive reaction to the visit. Please send me individual thoughts if you have them. In our wrap up meeting with the group, I was honest in that my only reservation in moving forward with the Acting Company is that we are launching a major initiative this summer with Tantrum Theater (which they were already fully aware of). If we say yes to the initial planning period with the Acting Company, that clock would begin in February and conclude next September, then year 2 begins in which we have some minor residencies. The 2017/18 season would be the year of the major residency, most likely in the late spring. In normal operating procedure, the Department Chair takes on the task of outreach to possible partner schools and is the primary planning interface with the Acting Company representatives. Because I am heavily involved in planning production aspects of Tantrum, I don't think I can spread myself that thin. I would be willing to share that responsibility if other faculty are willing to take on the outreach. The second major task would be to write an 1804 grant which would be due in March (I think) to pay for the $30,000 Anchor school fee. With a significant NAST report and Promotion and Tenure letters both due February 1, I can't take on the writing of the 1804. So, I pose those two questions for you to consider over the break. My plan is to have a full faculty meeting as soon as possible after classes begin January 11 in which we fully discuss these possibilities.

Last but not least, we had a wonderful CoFA leadership meeting with Elizabeth Sayrs on Tuesday. Suffice it to say, it is a new day in CoFA.

I will be out of the office December 20 until January 4, the first 10 days of which will be  visiting family in California.

Happy Holidays to all!

Artistic Director/Head
Theater Division
Ohio University
740 593-4818 917, 301-5173(c)

Hi Michael and Shelley,

Last week was incredibly informative. Ian, Richard and I had such a wonderful time and we can thank you enough for being so open and welcoming.

In moving forward we realize you all have a quite a bit to consider and discuss. Therefore, I'd like to suggest that we let the prospect of our partnership gestate over the holidays and that we touch base around the second week of January as you all get back into the swing of things. How do you feel about that?

Again, thank you for introducing us to your amazing program. Knowing that there are folks such as yourselves out there who are aiming to push beyond the status quo is quite refreshing.

As always, I'm available at any time to answer any questions you all may have.

Cheers!

Freddy Arsenault
Director of Community
Development, Group II
The Acting Company
Office: 212-258-3111
Cell: 917-697-4859
FArsenault at theactingcompany.org<mailto:FArsenault at theactingcompany.org>
www.theactingcompany.org
630 Ninth Avenue, suite 214
New York, NY 10036

For 43 years The Acting Company has endured as the only permanent, professional touring repertory company dedicated to the development of classical actors. The company has performed 141 classical and new plays on tour from coast to coast to both under served communities and major U.S. cities. A majority of the Company's 400 alumni are in constant demand - performing on Broadway, in films and on television. The Acting Company was founded in 1972 by John Houseman and the Company's producer Margot Harley from the first graduating class of the Drama Division of The Juilliard School.