[Theaterfacultystaff] Tantrum Progress & Acting Company Site Visit

Lincoln, Michael lincolnm at ohio.edu
Sun Dec 6 12:04:32 EST 2015

Dear Faculty and Staff,

Happy end of classes of the fall semester!

Since it might seem like nothing is happening with Tantrum, I thought it important to let you know what IS happening: Rachel, Dan, Bob and I are having weekly meetings and each working on various aspects on our own. We're very close to being able to announce a season, but we're being cautious until we know for certain that we can secure the rights.

The position description for the Producing Director, (AKA Managing Director) position is in the hands of the University Human Resources. We hope we can have it posted as soon as possible, but these things move slowly in a university. In the meantime, we must move forward on every front possible. Rehearsals begin in about 5 months! To that end, Peg, Dan, Rachel and I have determined that it's critical that Rachel take on the overload role of Interim Producing Director until the position can be filled, (and that is what she has essentially been doing already). It is difficult to predict how quickly we might have someone in place, but at the very latest, it would be March 1.  As soon as the permanent Producing Director is on board, Rachel will return to her single role as CoFA's Director of External Relations, with some ongoing responsibilities for the marketing and development related to Tantrum Theater.

The City of Dublin and the University are negotiating the terms of the lease for the Abbey Theater. Rachel and I have spoken to URTA about using their Contract Management Program. She has also been in touch with the Equity rep in Chicago and she is continuing talks with both Equity and URTA. At this point, we plan to use the CMP for all Equity, SDC and USA professionals and hire other staff through the university. Bob St. Lawrence has an amazing housing matrix and is chomping at the bit to fill it with positions and names for the show specific teams and the seasonal staff. He is also working on drafting technical drawings that we need for production. We have a meeting next week with a representative of residence life to determine the on campus housing options and we'll be looking at the housing options in Dublin along with a revisit to the Abbey for technical details on December 16.

Know that we're working as quickly and efficiently as possible to build the foundation for the best possible first season. We hope to have a matrix of show teams and seasonal staff positions figured out in the very near future. In the mean time, if you have an idea or a question please don't hesitate to ask any of us.

Also, attached is the final schedule for the Acting Company site visit, Thursday and Friday. Please note that we have switched Performance and Playwriting/Dramaturgy sessions on Friday morning. The lunch on Friday will be catered by  Kiser's in 108. If you don't plan on attending that lunch, please let Drew or me know so we can adjust the number of meals.

Thanks very much!

Artistic Director/Head
Theater Division
Ohio University