[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: Question about potential MA students

Condee, William condee at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 28 09:55:53 EST 2014

Please let any of your seniors who are considering an MA in theater know about this. Alas, I do not know anything more about this program.

Best,

bill
From: Will Daddario <wdaddar at ilstu.edu<mailto:wdaddar at ilstu.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 6:50 PM
To: William Condee <condee at ohio.edu<mailto:condee at ohio.edu>>
Subject: Question about potential MA students

Dear Professor Condee,
My name is Will Daddario and I'm currently an Assistant Professor in the School of Theatre and Dance at Illinois State University. I am also the co-chair of the Emerging Scholars Panels at the Mid-America Theatre Conference. Last year, Yining Liu, one of your graduate students, participated in our graduate student Emerging Scholars panel. Because of the strength of her work there, and because of your interesting interdisciplinary program at Ohio U., I thought I'd reach out to you with a specific request.

The MA/MS Theatre Studies faculty here at Illinois State University is starting to brainstorm new recruitment strategies. The route we're theorizing would lead to a coalition of sorts, a collaborative effort among different programs to create a circuit of MA and PhD training. This is all in the works and, in the not-too-distant future, I'd like to talk more about it with you.

At present, however, we're reaching out to specific faculty members in order to find prospective MA students, and this is my reason for writing to you. If you have any undergraduate students who are considering applying to MA programs in Theatre Studies for Fall 2014, would you perhaps consider telling them about ISU? The main link to our webpage is here: http://finearts.illinoisstate.edu/theatre/ma_ms/#apply

Ours is a two year program that will now focus most intensely on PhD preparation. At the moment, I'm advising one student who is completing his thesis, which develops an understanding of Katori Hall's Mountaintop as a site of re-memory (building on the work of Toni Morrison), and another who will complete her thesis next year on absurdist theatre in Argentina and Chile. I'd love to read applications from strong undergraduates whose work might eventually blossom in the fields of theatre and performance studies. Though our official deadline has passed, we are going to start a rolling process of admission that will take us into the summer since we would like to see more applications.

If indeed you have some undergraduate students whom you think might benefit from a program such as ours, please consider putting ISU on their radar.

I hope this email finds you well.
Very best,
Will

Will Daddario, Ph.D.