[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: Events Sponsored by the Office of Research/Graduate College

Lincoln, Michael lincolnm at ohio.edu
Tue Feb 4 15:14:16 EST 2014

FYI.

From: <Male'-Brune>, Roxanne <male-bru at ohio.edu<mailto:male-bru at ohio.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:12 PM
To: "Male'-Brune, Roxanne" <male-bru at ohio.edu<mailto:male-bru at ohio.edu>>

FREE SCREENING OF 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The Ohio University Graduate College, Athena Cinema, and Arts for Ohio  present a free screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey on Tuesday, February 25th at 6:30 p.m.

Released in 1968, the Academy Award Winning science fiction film deals with a series of encounters between humans and mysterious black monoliths that are changing human evolution. Notable for its scientific accuracy, the film deals with elements of not only evolution, but also technology, artificial intelligence and extraterrestrial life.

“2001: A Space Odyssey challenged our understanding of how technology would change the future. Decades later, we still question how technology will affect mankind,” David Koonce, Associate Dean of the Graduate College, said. “For those who haven’t seen the film, I look forward to the discussion it engenders. And for those who have, I know it will still leave you thinking.”

Written and Directed by Stanley Kubrick, 2001: A Space Odyssey is also known for its pioneering special effects and imagery, and, above all else, its compelling depiction of man versus machine.

START SMART Workshops

Ohio University is sponsoring several $tart $mart workshops in February to educate students about how to earn fair compensation after graduation.

Originally tailored for women to address the gender wage gap, the workshop will be offered to male students for the first time this year.

"In today's economy, many students are tempted to take a job, any job, at any price.  But few realize that there are real financial consequences to their decisions," said Roxanne Malé-Brune, director of grant development and projects at the Graduate College<http://www.ohio.edu/graduate>. "This workshop explores these consequences and how to negotiate to be fairly compensated."

The workshops are interactive. Attendees will learn how to negotiate for fair compensation and develop a personal budget to determine salary needs.

The February workshops schedule:
Female Graduate Student Workshops – Monday, Feb. 17 (11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.) and Tuesday, Feb. 18 (2:30 p.m. -5 p.m.)
Female Undergraduate Workshops – Thursday, Feb. 20 (9:30 a.m. - noon) and Friday, Feb. 21 (4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.)
Male Graduate/Undergraduate Workshop – Wednesday, Feb. 19 (2 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)

Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis, free of charge. Due to the workshop's interactive nature, space is limited and registration is required. Email: Roxanne Malé-Brune at male-bru at ohio.edu<mailto:male-bru at ohio.edu>.