[Theaterfacultystaff] Merger Issue for your thoughts

Condee, William condee at ohio.edu
Wed Jun 19 14:36:52 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks, Michael, for sharing this. First, I am not sure it matters all that much, and I think it is an inevitable result of combined schools. Second, I am not so sure that department or division are that bad. Is the concern that "department" is too academic? Is the concern that "division" is too minimized? It would be interesting to do searches for both of these terms and see how we compare.

The reason I think it doesn't matter that much is that our identity, I think, is more determined by our history, our faculty, and our alumni than it is by our prefix.

Having said that, two other suggestions:

1.   What about just "Theater"? (minus the question mark; or perhaps Theater!) How does division/department/segment help? Unorthodox, but as good as Brazil.

2.   If this matters, the way that it matters is in external communication. What if the "School of Theater" makes a little mistake, and forgets to update its brochures, website, etc.?

For what it's worth on a rainy day,

Bill