[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: greetings from the LGBT center and invitation to collaborate

Lincoln, Michael lincolnm at ohio.edu
Wed Jul 10 09:51:31 EDT 2013

FYI. If you know of these artists or have strong feelings that THEATER should be supportive or a particular artist, let me know.

Interim Director, Theater
Ohio University
740 593-4818 (o)
917 301-5173 (c)

From: <Bautista>, Delfin <bautista at ohio.edu<mailto:bautista at ohio.edu>>
Date: Monday, July 8, 2013 4:33 PM
To: LGBT <lgbt at ohio.edu<mailto:lgbt at ohio.edu>>
Subject: greetings from the LGBT center and invitation to collaborate

Saludos to all,

I wanted to first introduce myself; my name is delfin and I am the new director for the LGBT Center here at OU.  I am excited to be here and look forward to working with students, faculty, staff, and the wider community in engaging LGBTQ issues.

One of the goals of the center is to support academic departments and university centers by serving as a resource to faculty and staff by offering suggestions on lgbt and queer scholarship as well as guest lecturing / leading discussion in the classroom on the intersections of various disciplines and lgbtq issues.  I am happy to speak on panels, facilitate classroom discussions, and support academic efforts such as lecture series and conferences in your respective departments/areas.  I look forward to finding ways to more intentionally work with the entire university community and in doing so create safer spaces for students on campus.  I welcome your suggestions and ideas on how the center can support your department/office and vice versa.

The center is making plans for the upcoming academic year, especially around invitations to potential guest speakers.  I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in collaborating on the following speakers…

1.  We are looking to bring is Kit Yan, a trans spoken word artist and educator who is Asian, in November.  His work focuses on the intersections of queerness, race/ethnicity, gender, identity, and art.  We can schedule him for both a performance and workshop which would be $4000 plus $500 for travel/lodging.  The date that we are looking at is Friday November 15th which coincides with Trans* Awareness Week and would be a kickoff to the events we are looking to plan for the following week in honor of Trans Day of Remembrance.  For more on Kit, http://outmedia.org/comedy/KitYan.htm  I am also discussing with OutMedia other possible dates in the Fall and Spring Semesters as Kit has just developed a workshop focusing specifically on cultivating and empowering allies.

2.  As part of Trans* Awareness Week, we are hoping to invite performance artist and educator Rebecca Kling (http://www.rebeccakling.com/).  Rebecca has offered to facilitate a workshop (combining both Trans 101 information with ways to deepen the gender conversation).  She has also agreed to perform one of her pieces in addition to having lunch with OU members.  Her fee is $2500 including travel but not housing.    The dates we are exploring with Rebecca are November 18th and 19th (Monday and Tuesday).   (On November 20th, National Trans* Day of Remembrance, the center will be hosting an outdoor vigil, more that to come)

My goal in reaching out is not only in terms of seeking financial support but to truly make these and other center events a reflection of Ohio University's commitment to supporting the LGBTQ communities; while also strengthening, developing, and rekindling relationships throughout the university.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or call the office (my number is below).    Please let me know as soon as you are able if you are interested in collaborating with both or either of these events (and the best person to contact).  I look forward to working together and to exploring ways the center (and myself) can serve as a resource to you.

Thank you for your time
In queerful solidarity,
delfin
--
delfin w. bautista, msw, mdiv.
Director, LGBT Center at Ohio University

"The LGBT Center advances the diversity mission of OU by creating a campus environment inclusive and supportive of sexual orientation and gender identity or expression."