[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: A Conversation about Race & Casting, Tues, Feb 26, 5-6 pm

Fiocchi, Barbara fiocchib at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 15 16:00:54 EST 2013

Dear School of Theatre Faculty and Graduate Students:

You are invited and encouraged to attend a conversation about the artistic and curricular facets of casting and race on Tuesday, February 26, 5-6pm in Kantner 108.

We hope to make this a focused and thoughtful discussion about race and casting in a university setting. As many of you are aware, Lee Kinney's production of Assassins has provided us with a jumping-off point from which to discuss the complexities of color-blind casting in theatre. Although this production sparked conversation among many of us, we hope to see it as but one example in a much broader theatrical context in which bodies (in all their racial, gendered specificity) produce multiple and often contradictory meanings on stage.

A discussion about casting and race (as well as gender and other considerations) is timely, given recent national and international debates about casting, race, and nationality. (See links below). Some questions to consider as we come together include:

 *   What are the possibilities and limits of color-blind and cross-gender casting?
 *   How can we best facilitate a rigorous and thoughtful discussion of the work we produce?
 *   How does the School of Theatre address the needs of underrepresented communities, including but not limited to people of color, women, and LGBT students?
 *   What are the opportunities and challenges of balancing curricular needs with artistic vision?
Feel free to email me, Dennis Delaney, or Erik Ramsey with any questions or concerns. Thanks, and we hope to see you there!

My best,
Angie

FURTHER READING: Some links to other recent casting and race conversations.

On challenging playwrights and casting directors to be specific about race: http://publictheaterny.blogspot.com/2011/10/colorblind-casting-or-color.html

East-West Players Forum on Casting and Race: http://www.livestream.com/lastagealliance/video?clipId=pla_1413e662-bb24-4496-b0b9-66e03078e0ce

On The Orphan of Zhao at RSC: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/east-asian-actors-adress-_n_2050353.html