[Theaterfacultystaff] Orchard Project Apprenticeships

Erik Ramsey ramseye at ohio.edu
Mon Dec 2 09:20:56 EST 2013

Dear Theatre Educators,

Greetings from the Orchard Project, the renowned residency program where
many of America's leading and most innovative theater companies develop new
productions each summer. Past companies including Tectonic Theater Project,
Elevator Repair Service, A.R.T., Pig Iron, The Royal Court, The Rude Mechs,
and many more have developed over 50 shows at the Orchard Project, moving
on to Broadway (including this seasons "All the Way"), the West End, many
regional theaters, and some of the most exciting and avant garde festivals
in the world. This coming summer, we are excited to again be hosting a
diverse group of companies and artists, and I am writing to ask you to help
us find the dynamic young artists who will become part of the Orchard
Project's *2014 Core Company.*

As faculty members at universities, conservatories, and training programs,
we especially rely on your help getting the word out about this unique
opportunity.  If you have students who defy category, who overflow with
energy and vision but who might not fit at a typical summer acting
intensive, send them our way!  *Core Company* is designed for those
passionate students who we believe will be at the forefront of their
generation of theatre artists.  We call them "slash artists" (as in,
"actor/writer", "designer/director", "puppeteer/producer", etc.)

The details: We are seeking about ten apprentices ages 18-26 to spend five
weeks with us at the Orchard Project, taking classes and workshops,
creating their own work, and participating in the development of new
theatre with some of the world's most exciting fellow artists.
*Core Company* members are performers, writers, directors, designers,
producers, administrators and/or some combination of all of those things.
They come from all over the country, from liberal arts programs,
conservatories, MFA programs, and the professional world.  What they have
in common: they are tomorrow's innovators, boundary breakers, and
visionaries who will reshape the field for generations to come.

For more information on the Core Company experience, please visit the
following article published in Howlround:

http://howlround.com/the-chaos-and-clarity-of-the-orchard-project%E2%80%99s-
core-company<http://exchangenyc.org/ml/lists/lt.php?id=K0kKBAFRVlQZBQlNVVBRBlE%3D>

Applications for Core will be open as of January 1, 2014 and are reviewed
on a rolling basis until all the slots are filled. There is financial aid
available to help with the cots of tuition, but its disbursement is
depending on annual fundraising efforts and is not discussed with
applicants untilI an application is complete. I am sending this information
to you now in anticipation of the fact that many students investigate their
summer plans well in advance of the actual summer months. I will send an
additional reminder in January, once the application is live. My hope now
is to spread the word to your students and begin the conversation of what
might be possible for them should they desire to join us next summer.

I attaching this year's one sheet below. More info and the application form
will be available soon at
www.exchangenyc.org<http://exchangenyc.org/ml/lists/lt.php?id=K0kKBAFRVlcZBQlNVVBRBlE%3D>.
If, at any time, you or any of your students have any questions about the
program, please feel free to reach out, and we look forward to hearing from
you soon.

Thank you for your help, and best wishes,

Ari Edelson
Artistic Director
The Exchange and The Orchard Project

Catherine Mueller
Orchard Project Core Company Master Teacher