[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: Devised Theatre

Fiocchi, Barbara fiocchib at ohio.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:41:41 EST 2011

From: kcactf2 at mcdaniel.edu [mailto:kcactf2 at mcdaniel.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:59 PM
To: minskycat1 at gmail.com
Subject: Devised Theatre

Subject: Project for Devised Theatre at Region 2 Festival

Hello All,

1)      I am still looking for faculty to participate in a panel discussion towards the beginning of the festival Defining and Discussing Devised Theatre. Please contact me before Nov. 30 if you are willing and able.

2)      There is still time to register to bring a devised piece to festival using the prompt below -  "Welcome Home."  The deadline is Nov. 30, so if you have questions, please get in touch with naomi.baker at wilkes.edu<mailto:naomi.baker at wilkes.edu>.
Devised Prompt - One per school.
16x16 ft space
Audience on 3 or 4 sides [company choice]
Worklight or handheld, ensemble-generated lighting [....wall sockets and extension cords only] - no live flame
No smoking
20 minute time limit, to include set up and strike (which can be part of the action)
(3 works per  an hour)

The Prompt:

WELCOME HOME

-The roles and contributions of the performing ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed.

-At least one textual source will be from the poetry of Walt Whitman

-At least one textual source will be from interviews conducted by the ensemble

-Music, generated by the ensemble, will be included.

-A period of extended silence will be incorporated into the project.

-At least part of the project will incorporate organized, coordinated, "stylized" movement.

3)      We will have several workshops and a panel discussion during the festival on devising theatre.

4)      There will be a daily workshop by Rick Kemp that will end with a chance for interested parties to observe the final day of the workshop.  Please contact me by Nov. 30 if you are interested in participating in this workshop. Workshop is open to students and faculty.

Naomi Hatsfelt Baker
KCACTF Region 2
Chair, Acting/Directing Task Force
Coordinator, Project for Devised Theatre
Assistant Professor, Theatre
Wilkes University
Wilkes-Barre, PA
w. 570-408-4442