[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: Theater History Position

Fiocchi, Barbara fiocchib at ohio.edu
Wed Jun 1 12:16:10 EDT 2011

From: Smith, Charles [mailto:smithc4 at ohio.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:05 AM
To: theaterfacultystaff-bounces at listserv.ohio.edu
Subject: FW: Theater History Position

Bill,

You're right, this was a very enlightening article. And in light of our current circumstances, it's an article that the entire SOT faculty should read.

All best,

Charles

I urge you to read this article by Marvin Carlson, one of the most respected theater historians of the last half century, in the current issue of Theatre Survey (http://journals.ohiolink.edu/ejc/article.cgi?issn=00405574&issue=v52i0001&article=117_itwapvtheiny). He describes the elimination of the theater department at SUNY-Albany and the evisceration of the department at Cornell. He makes the important point that scholars/humanists are particularly well suited to reach out beyond the theater department to build bridges across the university community. His point is that PhD's are vital not only for the courses they teach, but also for the very survival of the department. Reading his article, in light of our current perilous circumstances, gave me the willies.