[Theaterfacultystaff] FW: Actors Needed: Let's put a woman in National Statuary Hall

Barbara Fiocchi fiocchib at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 12 08:07:38 EST 2010

From: Jennifer Lee [mailto:encouragegirls at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 1:35 AM
To: theater at ohio.edu
Subject: Actors Needed: Let's put a woman in National Statuary Hall

Dear Ohio University School of Theater,

You may have heard that the state of Ohio is currently looking at a final
list of ten nominees to represent Ohio in National Statuary Hall in
Washington, DC.. I am working with a group of women nationally to help
encourage the Ohio Statuary Committee to select a woman for this great
honor.

We need actors to dress as three historic women and encourage people to vote
for a woman for Statuary Hall during the voting process. We will come up
with at least two dates that will be beneficial to getting noticed. We will
call the press and have it covered.

Here is some background:

The Ohio legislature has decided to switch out the statue of Governor Allen,
a segregationist, in National Statuary Hall for another statue. Since there
are 100 statues in the hall and only nine of them are of women we think it
will be a great step forward for girls and women to have a woman chosen.
The competition is tough, but we feel that if we galvanize our forces we can
get a tenth woman statue in National Statuary Hall.  The legislature has
decided to let the people of Ohio vote for their favorite person. The
polling places will be all over Ohio.

The three women on the list are:

1. Judith Resnick, astronaut
2. Harriet Upton, suffragist
3. Harriet Beecher Stowe, author

We feel the lack of women in National Statuary Hall is significant since it
sends the wrong message to women and girls about the role of women in
American history.  Women are integral in the history of the United States
and should be recognized equally with men.  When girls walk through Statuary
Hall they need to see the women who have broken down barriers for all and
achieved success despite great odds.  Our National Statuary Hall should
ideally be half women.

We currently have a Facebook page, "Put a Woman in Statuary Hall."  In
addition, we are planning to work with many groups in Ohio in order to show
people how important it is to have a woman honored.  I am attaching the
latest press release from the Committee's office explaining the ballot
process throughout the state of Ohio.

I hope you are interested. We are thinking of having the actors at the
Columbus, Ohio polling place. Do you know of any actors who might be
interested in this voluntary endeavor?  Here is our video. Please pass it on
to everyone you know. Let us know how we can help you in this project.

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9tCNXZZqx4>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9tCNXZZqx4

Thank you,
Jennifer Lee