[Theaterfacultystaff] Lunchbag 11/6/09

Maureen Wagner wagnerm at ohio.edu
Wed Oct 28 11:23:22 EDT 2009

Dear All:
Lunchbag is a vitally important portion of the culture of our
School.  You and your students should always come....... Friday
November 6 our guest will be Judge William Newman
Judge Newman is an alumnus of the School of Theater and will be in
Athens for a Foundation Board of Trustees meeting (he is bailing on
their luncheon to be with us at lunchbag) and it would be much
appreciated by me if we have stellar attendance for this event.
Please encourage yourselves and your students to be in attendance.

Trustee William Newman Jr., Arlington, Va.

Chief judge of the Arlington Circuit Court, Newman earned his
bachelor's of fine arts in theater from Ohio University in 1972.

Newman went on to act in New York, and, while acting, earned a law
degree from Catholic University of America in 1977. He worked for
three years as a lawyer in the U.S. Patent Office then set up private
practice in 1980. He later became a partner in the firm of Carpenter,
Newman, Martin, Berkowitz and Garnes.

Newman was elected to the Arlington County Board in 1987, becoming
the first African-American board member in Arlington since
reconstruction. He resigned from the board in 1993 to accept the
appointment of a judgeship that led to his becoming chief judge of
the Arlington Circuit Court in 2003.

Maureen Wagner
Project Director, Arts for Ohio
Assistant Director, School of Theater