[Theaterfacultystaff] Q2s planning

Holly Cole cole at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri May 1 08:46:07 EDT 2009

Dear faculty
Here is a summary of the Q2S report I gave Wednesday in the faculty meeting.
I've also attached advising worksheets that PD&T is using in our planning.
We have really only scratched the surface in the grad programs and each area
is still developing its advising worksheets as load problems are addressed,
but this preliminary work has helped the curriculum committee to identify
the following problems:

Ugrad Core Issues:
1.We question the necessity of THAR 101 - could the information covered be
rolled into a freshman orientation session or THAR 172?

2.The Thar 110, 111, 112 sequence must be split into 2 semesters in some
way;this is complicated by 112's equivalency to 213 for our non-acting
majors. Combining 110 intro & 111 improv into one semester and converting
112 and 213 to semester-long classes is one option.  Under the semester
system then all majors would be required to take 2 acting classes instead of
3.

3.The THAR 131 A,B,C courses do not split into 2 semesters well within the
freshman year. To keep this training confined to the freshman year PD&T
proposes adding a 4th training section (D) in stage management/publicity and
teaching each of these sections in 7 week modules twice a year.

4.Playwriting students are currently advised to take THAR 151 and 250 in the
first year for audition into the playwriting program; but if THAR 151
expands into a full semester class the area sees no need for students to
take 250 in the freshman year.

5.Expanding 171 and 172 into full semester classes will be necessary & the
classes should anticipate either handling the full freshman population or be
taught twice a year. The curriculum committee is concerned that course
content and objectives for these courses are unclear; and course content
will need more clarity to support assigning more faculty or grad students as
instructors for these classes.

6.Practicum expansion & requirements has not been fully addressed yet. We
will need to downsize the number of practicums required to adapt to the
semester system & we need to sort out our current practicum issues with an
eye to expansion into the semester system. We assume we will move to a fall
semester of 3 productions & and spring semester of 2 productions + the
playwrights festival. Most of our undergrads take 2 credit practicums and
with a 5-week expansion to the semester system a 2-semester credit
registration can still work for our students. We will need to work out how
sophomore and junior students in one production per semester can contribute
to crew work for another production in the semester or we will rapidly have
problems securing run crews.

7.Preparation for THAR 420 across the school has been reported as
problematic. It is suggested that a new class, THAR 320, be developed and
that it should become the new core requirement. Perhaps this course would
focus more on directing theories and less on the nuts and bolts of
directing? More clarification is needed on what the problem

8.The 2 THAR 470 classes that our majors must take have the potential to
become a major teaching burden for the theater history faculty. Many of our
students will only have 3 semesters in which their programs will allow them
room to take a seminar - and to keep the seminars to a reasonable
registration cap of 15 we will need to offer several a year. Possible
solutions:
More faculty teaching 470/570 seminars
Include or require an IARTS seminar for a 470 option

9. Grad core issue:
Converting the grad programs has also revealed problems with the THAR 500
requirement in the first semester of study. Many programs require a lot of
core skills classes in the first year of study and the loss of one quarter
is a significant problem in getting all the skill sets covered. Is the THAR
500 class necessary for our training? Must it be in the first semester of
study?