[Theaterfacultystaff] Theater History Seminars: Spring 2009

Jordan Schildcrout schildcr at ohio.edu
Mon Feb 2 15:00:53 EST 2009

Dear Colleagues:

Attached (and below) are the seminar offerings in Theater History for
Spring 2009.  Please share this information with your students and
advisees, and be aware that seating in seminars is limited, so we encourage
early registration.

Regards,
Jordan

* * * * *

SCHOOL OF THEATER
SEMINARS IN THEATER HISTORY

SPRING 2009

THAR 473/573
Stage to Screen: "How to" and "How not" to adapt Plays into Movies
Professor Esiaba Irobi
W/F 1:10-3:00

This course examines the key discourses, playwriting craft, structural and
aesthetic competence needed to successfully adapt pulitzer prize-winning
plays such as Wit, Angels in America, and Piano Lesson into films. The
course involves an intelligent critique of each play and a detailed
evaluation of what is gained or lost as the play is transformed from
dramatic literature into the  medium of film/cinema . We will put all the
screenplays to our critical  scrutiny and also investigate  how market
forces, poor directing, and uncreative cinematography  can impact or change
or even damage the beauty of the plays, their structures, themes, acting
styles, and the quality of their language.

THAR 473/573
PLAYING WITH FIRE: MODERN POLITICAL THEATER
Professor Jordan Schildcrout
M/W 3:10-5:00

What is political theater?  Is it just shouting at an audience and telling
them what to think?  Or can it use entertainment and artistry to engage an
audience in an exploration of our humanity, our relationships, and our
society?  This course examines how works of theater from around the world,
using a variety of styles and forms, attempt to raise awareness and create
change.  Along with reading plays and other "non-traditional" modes of
performance, the class will discuss theatrical theory and cultural history,
paying particular attention to influential artistic and social movements,
and examining how the theater is uniquely positioned to address the issues
that affect our lives.  We will also view films and documentaries of some
of the seminal performances in the history of political theater.

IART/THAR 775
SEMINAR IN 19TH CENTURY THEATER & DRAMA
Professor William F. Condee
Th 9-12, Lindley 110

This graduate seminar will focus primarily on the plays of Ibsen,
Strindberg and Chekhov, but will also include Faust, Woyzeck, Fashion,
Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Escape, and other forms of popular theater.  In
addition, students will study the theatrical and performance conditions of
the period.  Final projects will be either a scholarly research paper or a
performance-oriented dramaturgical project.