[Studentsenatemaster-l] Agenda

Mathes, Benjamin bm471311 at ohio.edu
Tue Oct 28 11:03:15 EDT 2014

??Student Senate Members,

As I mentioned at the last general body meeting I am working with Will Klatt to organize a group of students to go to the Ohio State House to meet with representatives and advocate for increased funding of higher education in the state budget. 2015 is a budget year and in February the Governor will submit his proposed budget to the General Assembly. The portion of Ohio's budget dedicated to higher education has been reduced consistently each budget. In 2008 the portion dedicated to higher education was 5.3%, in 2012 it was 4.2%. It would not be against the trend if the budget for higher education was reduced again this budget year.

Around the 2nd or 3rd week of spring semester I will be organizing a carpool up to Columbus midweek where we will work with Gavin DeVore Leonard of One Ohio Now on how to speak with elected representatives and important information for advocating. After lunch we will spend the afternoon meeting with representatives based on where people and their parents are registered to vote. I will have more information on dates as I get a rough number on how many people plan on coming.

If you are interested in joining us on our trip to Columbus please enter your information in this google spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kKQSzHhQ2KrKDRkGdSlevRD-jI7syZbKEro8yTOdAw8/edit?usp=sharing

If you do not know who your state house or senate members are you can enter your zip code in the following links:

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/members/district-map

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senate/members/senate-district-map

I will hopefully be sending some version of this email to the entire student body so please feel free to share it with interested folks.

Cheers!

?

Ben Mathes
Ohio University Honors Tutorial College '16
Ohio University Student Senate Governmental Affairs Commissioner
Voinovich Undergraduate Research Scholar

Phone: (+1) 614-598-9288?