[State_authorization_update] State Authorization updates

Stone, Kia stonek1 at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 10 16:00:07 EST 2016

Good afternoon everyone,

Greetings from the Office of Instructional Innovation! I hope everyone is having a great fall semester so far :)
Check out the state authorization webpage @ https://www.ohio.edu/instructional-innovation/state-authorization/index.html

Announcements:
State Authorization Network Web series - FALL

Institutional Interactions - Strategic Planning and Communication<http://wcet.wiche.edu/events/webcasts/SAN/Institutional-Interactions> - You must register!
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2016  Time: / 9:00 AM Hawaii/ 11:00 AM Alaska/ 12:00 PM PDT and Arizona / 1:00 PM MDT/ 2:00 PM CDT/ 3:00 PM EDT

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) Updates:
44 states and the District of Columbia have already joined SARA.
- California, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts are the states that have not joined SARA as of today.

Kentucky-
State approved for SARA by SREB
Effective Date:  December 1, 2016

Pennsylvania-
State approved for SARA by SREB
Effective Date:  January 1, 2017

State Updates:
California - Per the Licensing Unit for the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE), 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA, 95833| (916)431-6959| bppe.licensing at dca.ca.gov<mailto:bppe.licensing at dca.ca.gov>
Per CEC Section 94801.5 Beginning July 1, 2017, an "out of state private postsecondary educational institute" that offers distance education to California residents, must register with the Bureau, or it is not authorized to enroll California students.
*Registration carries a fee of $1,500.00 per CEC 94930.5, and is valid for 2 years, and would require California students to pay into the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) and the institution must comply with CA STRF disclosures.
*Non-public higher education institutions that are non-profit and accredited are exempt from this provision.

Federal Updates:
New Federal Regulations for State Authorization of Distance Education - Have not been issued, YET!
The proposed regulations were officially released in the federal register in July 25, 2016. There was a comment period that ended on August 24, 2016.
Ohio University presented a letter of comments and that was included in the 139 public comments that were submitted. I would like to thank everyone that sent me their comments to be included in the process.

The regulations not being issued means that implementation of the new federal regulations would be, at the earliest, July 1, 2018.

The University's State Authorization Advisory Council (SAAC) will discuss this more thoroughly next semester as we gain information and I will send on essential details in future updates.

Please remember to honor and thank all who serve(d) in the United States Armed Forces on Veterans Day! AND
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thanks!
Kia
[OHIOCLR-01.png]