[State_authorization_update] Teacher Prep regulations

Stone, Kia stonek1 at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:05:16 EST 2016

Here is some information about Teacher Prep regulations. Below is an announcement from February along with an update sent yesterday.

February:

Hello WCET State Authorization Network members -

Those of you that have programs to educate budding teachers need to pay attention. The coming Teacher Prep regulations may become as (or more) difficult as state authorization was.

I learned yesterday that the Department of Education will be seeking approval to gather more comments about its long-delayed Teacher Prep regulations. The regulation would require every state to create a new system to judge the efficacy of teacher preparation programs whether they are traditional (through colleges of education) or non-traditional (Troops-to-Teachers, alternative certifications).

When the near-final proposed regulatory language was released, I wrote this blog post<https://wcetblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/teacher-prep-regulations/> and WCET formally submitted comments on your behalf about problems with the proposed regulatory language.  I was told the Department received many more comments than usual about the proposed regulation. The regulation was due to be released last year, but has been delayed several times.

Today, on the Department's page tracking Teacher Prep<http://www.ed.gov/teacherprep>, appears the following statement:
"We have formally submitted a supplemental Notice of Proposed Rule Making to OMB for review that will allow us to collect more public comments specifically on distance education as it relates to teacher preparation. Following the Office of Management and Budget review, we will publish the supplemental NPRM in the Federal Register for public comment."

We will continue to keep you informed. Meanwhile, if you have a Teacher Prep program at a distance, it would be good to chat with them. We will want to gather your staff and faculty's thoughts and experiences.

Thank you,
Russ
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March:

Hello WCET State Authorization Network members -

In today's blog post is targeted at those of you who have teacher preparation programs at a distance and, perhaps, a few of you who have such programs on-campus. The U.S. Department of Education has been working for years on new regulations requiring states to assess and grade institutions and alternative providers who prepare people to become K-12 teachers. The Department plans to seek additional comment on just one additional issue: distance education. In serving students in other states, this has the opportunity to be as confusing as state authorization was.

Why should you care? What should you do?  See the blog post:
https://wcetblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/teacher-prep-regulations-and-distance-education-well-soon-need-your-input/

Have a great day!!
Russ

Thanks!

Kia D. Stone
Coordinator of Compliance & Quality Assurance
Ohio University
eLearning OHIO
740.593.2558