[State_authorization_update] New Federal Regulations for State Authorization - How to comment

Stone, Kia stonek1 at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 17 09:54:49 EDT 2016

Good morning!

This is a quick reminder of the August 24th Deadline for the comment period for the Proposed Federal Regulations about State Authorization of Distance Education<https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-07-25/pdf/2016-17068.pdf>.  We encourage you to submit a comment! Volume matters! You may review Russ' blog post, Call to Action: Comment on State Authorization for Distance Education Regulation<https://wcetfrontiers.org/2016/08/02/comment-on-state-auth-reg/> for analysis and suggestions.

How to Comment
Join the fun. Reply! VOLUME COUNTS.
Who Should Reply?
Institutions, programs, or individuals may reply. If you serve students via distance education in other states, you should consider replying. For an institutional or programmatic reply, you need to navigate the proper government relations channels at your institution. This may be difficult given the August 24 deadline.
If you reply as an individual, you can't use your institution or organization letterhead. You can supply your name, title, and employer. It might be good to reiterate that you are not responding in your official capacity.
How Do I Reply?
Directions on how to reply appear in the "Addresses" section of the Supplemental NPRM<https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2016/04/01/2016-07354/teacher-preparation-issues>. You may: "Submit your comments through the Federal eRulemaking Portal or via postal mail, commercial delivery, or hand delivery. We will not accept comments submitted by fax or by email or those submitted after the comment period. To ensure that we do not receive duplicate copies, please submit your comments only once. In addition, please include the Docket ID at the top of your comments. If you are submitting comments electronically, we strongly encourage you to submit any comments or attachments in Microsoft Word format."
If you plan to use the Portal, give yourself some time to figure it out or get help from the person who usually submits comments for your institution. Read the specific instructions on pages 2 and 3<http://www2.ed.gov/documents/press-releases/07222016-state-authorization-nprm.pdf> of the proposed regulation.
What Should I Say?
Personalize it as form letters get less attention. Briefly tell your story. Who are you? What impact would these regulations have on students? What impact would these regulations have on your program? Focus on what would have the greatest impact on you and your students. Say why the proposed would regulations would help or hurt you, your institution, and (especially) your students. Discard the rest.
Be respectful. We can be better than the presidential nominees.
Make positive or helpful suggestions. Personally, I hate the responses which object to everything without supplying, at least some, helpful alternatives. This helps to address the sense that we are merely objecting to any type of oversight or anything that inconveniences us. I'm for regulations that serve a purpose and for which the cure is not worse than the disease.
Ask questions about clarifications that are needed.

Thanks!
Kia

[OHIO University]
Office of Instructional Innovation
Kia D. Stone, Coordinator of Compliance & Quality Assurance
115 Haning Hall  | Ohio University |  Athens OH 45701-2979
T: 740.593.2558 | stonek1 at ohio.edu<mailto:stonek1 at ohio.edu>
https://www.ohio.edu/instructional-innovation/state-authorization/index.html