[Stars] STARS MINUTES

Stars at Ohio University ohioustars at gmail.com
Thu May 26 10:51:00 EDT 2011

Hey guys,

         Here are the Minutes for this past week's meeting...enjoy, these
will be the last ones for the year :-(

STARS MINUTES 5-23-11

Announcements

   - T*his week (today) we will not have an Exec Board meeting*, but we will
   have a Final meeting next Thursday,and EVERYONE is invited. This will be
   our Farewell meeting since we didn't get to have one this past meeting. So
   come out to our "Exec Board" meeting on Thursday at 5pm in Baker 233 to
   help us send off our departing seniors :-(

Racism 2.0

   - For this week's discussion we talked about the article that Alex had us
   read and some of the topics that were brought up were:
      - Will there ever be a time when all Minorities will gain full
      equality? If not, should we stop our fight against it?
      - Can talking about Racism perpetuate people's ideas and emotions
      about Racism in a negative light?
      - How can people who are not of a Minority status fight against any
      type of prejudice without being mocked or ridiculed for it? How
can people
      who may hold a certain privileged, because of their race or
social status,
      effectively bring awareness about the wrong in doing prejudice acts?
         - One idea that we came up with, to help resolute the issue of
         people saying that talking about racism is only perpetuating
more racism, is
         to ask whomever to analyze what we feel should be entitled to everyone
         (example quality healthcare) and compare it to what the
reality of that
         issue is (example: people in lower/working class don't have
good, if any,
         healthcare). Asking them to make this comparison will break
the stigma of
         the word "racist" or "homophobic" etc., because it asks
people to simply
         look at reality, thus causing us to start to thinking of
possible solutions
         to fix the inequality.
      - Our STARS members have started thinking of creative and interactive
      ways to get a variety of people to come and  *comfortably* have
      discussions revolving around our theme of Racism 2.0. Keep those ideas
      flowing so we can have events for the fall quarter.

Those are all the Minutes for this week, and will be the last from me this
year. Thank you to all of my STARS peeps for being so inspiring and fun to
be around...if I have to talk about racism, you guys are the group to do it
with lol. But, I hope all of you have a great summer and continue to fight
against any type of social oppression by bringing awareness about these
issues and showing how they truly can affect a person's way of life.

Love you all!!!

Micia Clemmons
Secretary of STARS
Mc970808 at ohio.edu

--
Laura Hyde
lh264909 at ohio.edu

Keith Hawkins
Co-President of STARS
Honors Tutorial College, Astrophysics Major
kh148408 at ohio.edu