[Stars] STARS MINUTES

Stars at Ohio University ohioustars at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:45:04 EDT 2011

Hey everyone,
 Here are the MINUTES to Monday's meeting, Im sorry its so late in the week,
but this is the only time I had time to do it. The Minutes are a little long
this time, but its all valuable info, so please READ!

*STARS MINUTES 4-25-11*

   - *Elections*: Decided that today's meeting would be the day where each
   exec board member explains the duties and responsibilities of their
   positions. Then we will take nominations for next weeks meeting.
      - Here is a brief synopsis of the duties of each position:
         - *President*- Tracks Attendance, coordinates agendas, events, and
         meeting; the overseer of the board. Must know the policies and is
         responsible for delegating positions.
         - *Vice President*: Coordinates meetings when President is unable
         to. Is responsible for assisting with coordinating meetings
and promotions.
         - *Treasurer*- Maintains all cash flow in organization (dues,
         Books, etc.) responsible for knowing how to put together any
type of Sac
         Packs for fundraising. Must be able to keep track of all
finances in an
         organizing manner.
         - *Secretary*- Records the Minutes of each meeting, responsible for
         booking rooms for meetings, and sending out emails for board.
         - *Events Coordinator*- Sets up meetings with outside groups to
         collaborate for certain events. Overseer of advertising and
promotions for
         events and is responsible for delegating duties during the
course of an
         event.
         - *Fundraising Chair*- Innovates ideas for fundraising, often will
         have to collaborate with Treasurer to keep track of incoming
and exporting
         money for the organization. Will also have to be familiar
with Sac Funding
         and able to keep an organize account of fundraising money.
      - So think about each position and if there are any that intrests you,
      feel free to nominate yourself or others for that position by Monday.
   - *Diversity Training*
      - Discuss everyones experiences with this previous training session:
      what did they learn, what can be improved, likes/dislikes etc?
         - Likes: Was fun and the facilitators were nice.
         - Dislikes: Lack of advance educating moments, felt the activities
         were really helpful in advancing our understanding of diversity.
            - *Learning Moment*: One learning moment that many of us got
            from the Diversity Training was not to assume that one
individual will have
            more knowledge on a specific subject, simply because of
their race, gender,
            ethnicity, religion etc. In other words one person cant
speak for an entire
            group of people who may share the same cultural or racial
traits, so don't
            assume.
               - And when you feel you are put in the position when someone
               asks you to speak on something that you don't have much
knowledge on, just
               honestly say that you can only speak for yourself and
that you cant really
               speak for anyone else. And feel free to open the
discussion to the group
               around you to see if someone may actually be more
               knowledgeable on that topic.
            - *Red Brick* *Volunteer night*
      - We moved our Red Brick night to May 19th since our original time of
      May 5 was filled.  Everyone tell your friends to come out and support
      between 6-9pm b/c without their help the night will be a waste. The
      ppl who volunteered to help are: -Ashely -Emilee - Antonio - Micia -Alex
      -Katie.
         - *Volunteers be at Red Brick by 5:30 for a brief training*
         - Think of ideas for incentives that we could give to ppl who come
         out (gift cards, candy, free drink etc.)
         - Volunteers also remember to wear OU Gear on the night, but I will
         remind you all that week.
      - A*nnouncements:*
      -  -*Belly Dance Festival *is on May 14 in Baker Theater from 3 to
      7pm. Liasons are still Shad, Kendra, Steph, and Alex and Table People are
      Keith and Micia.
      - -Continue to help *Naomi with her sponsoring for her Documentary
      Premiere on May 18* in Walter Rotunda at 7pm. Think of
      creative advertising ideas for her (fliers, ads, etc.)
      - *BSU Spring Forum is on May 2 at 7pm in Baker Theater*. Come out and
      support.
      - Chrissa will be the leader in speaking with the RD of Crawford dorm
      and see what type of activities they would like to do for our diversity
      training in the dorms.
   - STARS MEETING for next week will be in a* different room*, Baker 341!

Those are the Minutes, again sorry they are long but its all good stuff to
know. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Micia Clemmons
Secretary of STARS
Mc970808 at ohio.edu

--
Laura Hyde
lh264909 at ohio.edu

Keith Hawkins
Co-President of STARS
Honors Tutorial College, Astrophysics Major
kh148408 at ohio.edu