[Stars] STARS Minutes

Stars at Ohio University ohioustars at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:42:12 EDT 2011

Hey all,

     Here are the MINUTES to this week's STARS meeting, I hope you enjoy:

STARS MINUTES 4-18-11

   - STARS Announcements
      - Training for Diversity is on Saturday, April 23 from 12-4 pm so if
      you are interested please email Keith to RSVP
      - *Colegiate Middle Level Association *: Keith, Stephanie, and Micia
      will be speaking on behalf of STARS Wednesday (tonight) at 8 pm
in McCraken
      rm 104.
      - Student Council for Exceptional Children: Sunday, May 8 Stars will
      be doing some of the diversity training activities with the group to help
      train them. The people who signed up to help are Alex, Sarah, and Shad.
      - Ashley will speak with Niaomi about STARS possibly helping her
      sponsor for her documentary. The premiere will be on May 18th at 7pm.
      - Ashley and Chrissa also agreed to be the liaisons between STARS and
      the Campus Involvement Center to let us know any valuable
information that
      can help us with advertising in the future.
   - Officer Elections
      - *Nominations will be* *next week* so start thinking about positions
      that may interest you, the positions are: -President
-Vice President
       -Treasurer  -Secretary  -Event Coordinator  -Fundraising Chair
   - Fundraising
      - Katie will speak with Red Brick about the fundraising event, we all
      agreed that May 5 (a Thursday Night) and if that doesnt work out we will
      strive for May 12. The idea is that we will start off with $40
and we must
      try to get as many tips as we can and after we give the
bartenders and the
      other waiters their portion, we will get to have the remaining
profits. So
      invite all your friends, once we can the date finalized!!!
   - Racism 2.0 Discussion
      - Here is a couple things that was brought up during our discussion of
      what we think our modern view of Racism is and how it is prolonged.
         - The Media Outlets constantly shows reoccurring stereotypes, very
         little diverse perspectives
         - Jokes is a type of "secret" language in which people use humor to
         cover up Racism
         - Racism first ignites or at least the most strongly within our
         households, our families have a strong influence on what we think.
         - Saying "I'm sorry" gives some people the permission to say racist
         things whenever, but only if they say "I'm sorry" when their finished.
         - The term "Racist" has such a strong negative connotation that
         people refuse to confront the issue because it is so taboo.
      - Other Announcements
      - Thursday (tomorrow) will be the start of the "Take back the Night"
      Event. It will begin at 7:30 at the Scripps Theater. Alex will
be there, and
      encourages all males to come out to support, along with all the females.
      - BSU- will be holding their spring forum interviews today at 6pm in
      the MCC, so if you're interested in doing an interview on
confronting myths
      and stereotypes, today is a fun opportunity. Ugonna and I will
be filming,
      so you should come!
      - Stars will possibly have our Social on May 6, but the details will
      need to be worked out.

Those are all the minutes for this weeks meeting, so I hope you had as much
fun reading them, as I did writing them! Also Exec Board reminder that
our *Exec
meeting will be tomorrow at 5 pm in the front room*. Everyone who may have
any receipts or any financial stuff regarding STARS please bring it to the
meeting, since we will be working all the kinks out our financial issues.

Thanks everyone and I hope you all have a great remainder of your week

P.S. Happy Easter!!

Micia Clemmons
Secretary of STARS
Mc970808 at ohio.edu

--
Laura Hyde
lh264909 at ohio.edu

Keith Hawkins
Co-President of STARS
Honors Tutorial College, Astrophysics Major
kh148408 at ohio.edu