[Spa-L] FW: NASPA Graduate Associate Program (GAP) applications are being accepted

Barrett, Diana db978014 at ohio.edu
Wed Jul 29 14:43:20 EDT 2015

Definitely consider the opportunity below if you are going to NASPA!!

[http://www.naspa.org/images/uploads/main/New_Banner_Oct13.jpg]<http://www.naspa.org/>
[NASPA]<https://www.naspa.org/events/2015NMI>

Greetings!

I hope this message finds you well with life treating you fabulously! My name is Yolanda Barnes and I’m the Coordinator of Student and New Professional Initiatives with NASPA. In my role I have the amazing opportunity to work with our graduate student population. The core of NASPA’s mission is to provide professional development for student affairs educators and administrators who share the responsibility for campus wide focus on the student experience. If you’re transitioning into new a graduate program or returning for your final academic year, I hope you consider getting involved with NASPA.

One program I will like to highlight is specifically for our NASPA graduate student members. The NASPA Graduate Associate Program (GAP)<https://www.naspa.org/constituent-groups/professionals/gap> is an initiative to increase leadership opportunities of graduate students within NASPA. Graduate Associates work collaboratively with other GAs throughout the world to become another communication conduit for NASPA events, publications, and programs offerings within a campus community. Associates also have the opportunity to serve on an unofficial graduate student council, providing another perspective for NASPA student membership.

To be considered, GAP applicants:

  *   Must be an incoming or current graduate student pursuing a master’s degree in student affairs, higher education, counseling, or a related field and
  *   Interested in learning about NASPA events and programs.

The benefits of becoming a NASPA Graduate Associate are numerous. Aside from becoming more knowledgeable about your professional association and networking with other graduate students, all GAs will receive recognition on the NASPA website, a complimentary copy of Beginning Your Journey: A Guide for New Professionals in Student Affairs (Fourth Edition), and the ability to apply to be a NASPA Annual Conference intern in Indianapolis, IN.

The application process for the 2015-2016 NASPA Graduate Associate program is now open. Our priority deadline is Aug. 14, 2015. Additional information can be found through the 2015-2016 Position Description<http://www.naspa.org/images/uploads/events/PositionDescription1516.pdf>, as well as the application link<http://apps.naspa.org/cfp/evt_frm_user.cfm?event_id=304>.

Need some inspiration while completing your GAP application? Consider reading Cool Passion: Challenging Higher Education<http://www.naspa.org/publications/books/cool-passion-challenging-higher-education> by Arthur Chickering and Associates. Chickering is one of the leading researchers in student development theory and its implications for higher education. In this candid and revealing autobiography, Arthur Chickering tells the extraordinary story of his life and career. The book discusses both the history and future state of student affairs, with a focus on the origins of his famous 7 Vectors. As a graduate students it’s important to understand the historical context of our work. The contributing authors are also renowned figures in the field; George Kuh, Jon Dalton, John Saltmarsh, Gene Rice, Catherine Marienau, and Alexander and Helen Astin.

As you think about the multiple ways to get involved with NASPA, make sure your professional membership level is up to date. For example, if you’re a first year graduate student, but previously held a NUFP or Undergraduate Student membership, you will need to update your status to be listed as a Graduate Student Member. If you have a current NASPA membership with an expiration date before the 2015 year is over you can wait until your renewal to update your professional level. If your expiration date is any time after December 2015, you will need to contact the NASPA Membership Team at membership at naspa.org<mailto:membership at naspa.org>.

I look forward to reading your NASPA Graduate Associate Program<http://apps.naspa.org/cfp/evt_frm_user.cfm?event_id=304> applications. Don’t forget the deadline is Aug. 14, 2015. If you ever have questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. Wishing you all the best and sending lots of positive energy at the start of the new academic year!

Yolanda Barnes
Coordinator of Student and New Professional Initiatives
ybarnes at naspa.org<mailto:ybarnes at naspa.org>
@YolandaMBarnes <http://www.twitter.com/YolandaMBarnes>

NASPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national, origin, religion, sex, age, gender identity, gender expression, affectional or sexual orientation, or disability in any of its policies, programs, and services.

NASPA has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 05120. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. NASPA is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.

To unsubscribe from emails within this category, please click on the link below and uncheck the box for "Other Event Marketing," allowing up to 10 business days for the change to take effect.

If you would like to manage content that you receive from a Constituent Group, as well as your NASPA HQ Blog notifications, you can set your preferences by clicking here<https://www.naspa.org/members/notifications> and logging when prompted.