[Spa-L] Fwd: Inside Higher Ed September 19, 2011 Daily Update

Atinuke Odunaiya ao317705 at ohio.edu
Wed Sep 21 09:31:05 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Inside Higher Ed <newsroom at insidehighered.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 04:51:53 -0400
Subject: Inside Higher Ed September 19, 2011 Daily Update
To: Vincent <vtharris at gmail.com>

INSIDE HIGHER ED -- Daily News Update -- September 19, 2011
   On the Web:
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=46f4477344&e=9bdc1fd3d9
-------------------------------

I N S I D E   H I G H E R   E D
Daily News Update
September 19, 2011
Hello. Here's what's new on Inside Higher Ed today:

N E W S

ONLINE AND OUTSOURCED
Recommendation to create Nevada Virtual College, 2-year college to be
run by outside vendor, provokes backlash from faculty members and some
administrators.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=bfb8bbef43&e=9bdc1fd3d9

ABUSE OF TRUST?
U. of Michigan Library admits to flaws in process for identifying
copyright &quot;orphans&quot; in HathiTrust Digital Library, in
setback for project aimed at increasing access to digitized texts.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=e3adfe07ab&e=9bdc1fd3d9

ANTIOCH OPENS (AGAIN)
College is about to enroll 35 new students, with a revamped curriculum
that builds on the one for which the institution is known.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=3dc9ac18eb&e=9bdc1fd3d9

CARNEGIE MELLON IN RWANDA
In unusual move, American university opens branch campus in Africa.
Some question ties to government that has been criticized on human
rights.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=18ed5898e8&e=9bdc1fd3d9

NEWLY TENURED ... AT UNC GREENSBORO, UTICA

http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=e6cffa7da9&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Free Webinar. One Stop
Teaching and Learning: Using
the McGraw-Hill Blackboard building block
in online and hybrid teaching.
Thursday, October 6, 2 PM Eastern.
Register at
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=8a00ac4398&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Q U I C K   T A K E S

- Security Problem Identified in Blackboard Learn
- Wash. State CC Board Declares Financial Emergency
- IRS Ends Rules on Reporting Employees' Cell Phone Use
- Canadian Scientist Won Grants on False C.V.
- Conference Chaos: Syracuse, Pitt to Leave Big East for ACC
- Doubting Value of Social Media, Fairs in Recruiting Foreign Students
- Academic Minute: Supermassive Black Holes
- Homeland Security Announces Website for Foreign Students
- Greg Mortenson Declines Grawemeyer Award
- Italian Authorities Discover Fake University
- Some Dons Question Oxford's Latest Move to Make Money

http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=7f36520724&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Pearson: Technology to Build
a Foundation for Learning.
LMS. Digital Content. Analytics.
To learn more, visit
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=4f21c37c25&e=9bdc1fd3d9

V I E W S

THE CHALLENGE OF TECHNOLOGY
The residential liberal arts college remains vital, but the model
needs to consider how recent advances may transform education, writes
Barry Mills.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=84b71661b8&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Good connection. Good timing.
Good to go. Great solutions
for your entire campus community.
Jenzabar. For more info, visit
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=23ba5d30a0&e=9bdc1fd3d9

C A R E E R   A D V I C E

PAY ATTENTION TO THE JOB AD
Cheryl Reed and Dawn M. Formo explain how to use position
announcements to improve your chances.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=1b4277ed62&e=9bdc1fd3d9

What makes American University
distinctly American University?
Simpson Scarborough.
Marketing. Research. Branding.
You have questions. We find answers. Visit
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=754eb832d7&e=9bdc1fd3d9

B L O G   U.

GROUNDING
University of Venus

http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=702b1d1d67&e=9bdc1fd3d9

THOUGHTS ON 'PINCHED'
Confessions of a Community College Dean
Pinched, by Don Peck, makes me jealous as a writer. (Michael Lewis and
Adam Gopnik have that effect, too.) It’s a discussion of the cultural
impact of the Great Recession in the United States, with ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=81283b710f&e=9bdc1fd3d9

LOOKING FORWARD
Provost Prose
As I write this blog on Labor Day, I am looking forward to the next
day when fall semester classes will begin. For me a campus during the
time period after summer sessions are over and before fall ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=585a1f8a03&e=9bdc1fd3d9

&QUOT;1493&QUOT; AND HOW WE TEACH HISTORY
Technology and Learning
Before I jump into an argument about how we teach history, I want to
make we don't lose the point that Charles Mann's 1493: Uncovering the
New World Columbus Created is a wonderful book.A modern ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=16ebeafe2f&e=9bdc1fd3d9

GOING BACK TO ALMA MATER
Mama PhD
I spent the Sunday of Labor Day weekend touring our old campus with my
college roommate, Nancy.This wasn’t the purpose of the trip. Nancy
lives in southwestern Virginia, and I live in Brooklyn, NY, ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=4aa08877d2&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Selling Liberal Education to Students
and Parents -- an Inside Higher Ed
audio conference. Tuesday,
September 27 at 1 p.m. Eastern.
To register, visit
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=6aac99294b&e=9bdc1fd3d9

F E A T U R E D   J O B S

HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY, AND PHILOSOPHY DEPARTMENT CHAIR
Georgia College & State University
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities
Department chair positions at Georgia College combine leadership and
administrative responsibilities with faculty duties. As a leader and
administrator, the chair: ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=baf8def4cc&e=9bdc1fd3d9

VICE PRESIDENT FOR INSTITUTIONAL ADVANCEMENT
Cottey College
COTTEY COLLEGE
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
VICE PRESIDENT FOR INSTITUTIONAL ADVANCEMENT

Cottey College invites applications and nominations for the position
of Vice President for Institutional ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=98b1816575&e=9bdc1fd3d9

VICE PRESIDENT, STUDENT SERVICES
San Mateo County Community College District
San Mateo County Community College DistrictVice President, Student
Services  Posting Number: 0600608  Salary: Placement on the Management
Salary Schedule with an annual salary range of $130,000 to ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=c916ed533c&e=9bdc1fd3d9

DIRECTOR OF DIVERSITY
St. Ambrose University
Director of Diversity
St. Ambrose University seeks a Director of Diversity with professional
experience in the field of diversity to lead the University’s
diversity and inclusion efforts. The ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=c6b0861592&e=9bdc1fd3d9

DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Kennesaw State University
Director of Development  Position Summary:  Development Director for
Coles College of Business to Direct and engage in fundraising
endeavors for the College.  The Director is responsible for ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=130f1114a4&e=9bdc1fd3d9

ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT FOR ALUMNI AND COLLEGE ADVANCEMENT
Cornell College
The Associate Vice President reports directly to the Vice President of
Alumni & College Advancement, and is responsible for identifying and
pursuing opportunities to strategically integrate and ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=ab0137192a&e=9bdc1fd3d9

LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION?
To make sure you get the next issue of our newsletter, please add
newsroom at insidehighered.com to your address book.

(c) Copyright 2011 Inside Higher Ed.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=4a11fcd7f5&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Inside Higher Ed  -  1015 18th Street NW, Suite 1100  -  Washington, DC
20036

Sent from my mobile device

Vincent T. Harris
Ohio University- vh219210 at ohio.edu
Graduate Student in College Student Personnel
Teach For America - 2007 Houston Corps
Auburn University, Alabama
Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications/Marketing Minor

"If It Wasn't Hard, Everyone Would Do It" - *A League of Their Own *