[Spa-L] Fwd: Inside Higher Ed May 19, 2011 Daily Update

Atinuke Odunaiya ao317705 at ohio.edu
Thu May 19 12:12:53 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vincent Harris <vtharris at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Subject: Fwd: Inside Higher Ed May 19, 2011 Daily Update
To: Atinuke.odunaiya at gmail.com

Please forward to SPA...thanks a lot!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Inside Higher Ed <newsroom at insidehighered.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 05:05:08 -0400
Subject: Inside Higher Ed May 19, 2011 Daily Update
To: Vincent <vtharris at gmail.com>

INSIDE HIGHER ED -- Daily News Update -- May 19, 2011
   On the Web:
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=dafc9ef44e&e=9bdc1fd3d9
-------------------------------

I N S I D E   H I G H E R   E D
Daily News Update
May 19, 2011
Hello. Here's what's new on our site today:

N E W S

COMMUNITY COLLEGE IF YOU CAN PAY
California considers letting campuses set much higher tuition rate for
some programs. Would shift help wealthier students, make the colleges
more competitive with for-profits, or both?
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=c677406d1c&e=9bdc1fd3d9

DECLINE OF 'WESTERN CIV'?
Report finds few colleges require what was once a standard part of the
curriculum. Many historians aren't worried.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=9bc3f80c5d&e=9bdc1fd3d9

DIVIDE AND CONQUER?
U. of Illinois challenges union victory and infuriates faculty leaders
by saying that state law bars common unit for those on and off the
tenure track.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=e3ce7eb022&e=9bdc1fd3d9

LABORATORY FOR LEGAL SCHOLARSHIP
A new law journal is actually a collection of would-be journals --
incubating experiments in nontraditional topics and formats in search
of a market.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=e715301c74&e=9bdc1fd3d9

NO LETUP IN BRITISH TUITION TURMOIL
Minister's off-the-cuff comments about student access provoke
&quot;knee-jerk&quot; responses, and together they threaten reasonable
debate over public policy.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=b5460967b0&e=9bdc1fd3d9

NEW PRESIDENTS OR PROVOSTS: BUTLER U., EMPIRE STATE COLLEGE, EVERGREEN
STATE COLLEGE, MIDDLESEX CC, NOVA SCOTIA CC, WESTERN NEW MEXICO U.,
WESTMONT COLLEGE

http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=1a325a6d06&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Classroom Capture and
the Community College CIO.
Learn more by visiting
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=d49b0f7bbd&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Q U I C K   T A K E S

- New Orleans Merger Plan Withdrawn
- Board Conflict Leads to Resignation of Kansas Regents Chair
- Indiana U. to Shutter Continuing Education School
- Law Student Accused of Plagiarizing Graduation Talk
- First Openly Transgender College Basketball Player Leaves Team
- Academic Staff at Wisconsin-Superior Vote for Union
- Outcome of Contentious Race for L.A. Community College Board
- Academic Minute: Rabbit Fever
- NCAA Responds to U.S. Letter about Football Playoff
- Sex Work to Pay for European Tuition Bills

http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=9c2fd8208b&e=9bdc1fd3d9

ACCUPLACER CSP - Computer Skills
Placement, Assess fundamental computer
skills; Measure proficiency across computer
competencies; Learn more. Visit
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=83b15d4b4f&e=9bdc1fd3d9

V I E W S

FEARLESSLY FACING THE FRESHMAN -- II
Steve Allred, a provost, reflects on having taught freshmen for the
first time in his career.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=45646c75bc&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Master of Arts in Higher Education
Administration. Online or On-Campus,
30 credits, Specializations in Student Affairs
or Management. Stony Brook University.
Learn more by visiting
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=d3ace5fdf0&e=9bdc1fd3d9

B L O G   U.

ASK MY READERS: CMS MIGRATION
Confessions of a Community College Dean
Wise and worldly readers, I need the benefit of your experience.This
summer, my college will migrate from one Course Management System to
another. (A CMS is the web platform used to run online courses ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=a086cb7d64&e=9bdc1fd3d9

ARRIVING AT 'ARRIVAL CITY'
Technology and Learning
Arrival City: How the Largest Migration in History Is Reshaping Our
World by Doug SaundersMy world shows up for me through a browser, a
page, on e-paper. A nice way to go through life, but one ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=9cd0d781f6&e=9bdc1fd3d9

&QUOT;HOCKEY STICK&QUOT; REFUTATION WITHDRAWN -- SORT OF
Getting to Green
It used to be that one of the best known images in the climate change
discussion was the &quot;hockey stick&quot; graph -- a long-term chart
of atmospheric temperature variation that showed a pattern ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=cba4f6b433&e=9bdc1fd3d9

LITERACY IN THE DIGITAL AGE: PART II
Law, Policy -- and IT?
&nbsp;Let’s get right to this issue: what role does technology play?
Technology, undoubtedly disruptive in our age, would be an easy target
upon which we could throw blame. No argument that it plays ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=3f7686c878&e=9bdc1fd3d9

&quot;Assuring a Safe Environment for
Gay Students,&quot; an Inside Higher Ed
audio conference. Click to register.
Wednesday, May 25th at 2 p.m. Eastern.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=8a20eecd07&e=9bdc1fd3d9

F E A T U R E D   J O B S

DEAN OF THE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Auburn University at Montgomery
Search Extended

Located in the capital of Alabama, Auburn University at Montgomery, a
public institution founded in 1967, seeks candidates for the Dean of
the School of Business.

AUM seeks a ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=11eee1ee6f&e=9bdc1fd3d9

RENEWABLE ENERGY ENGINEER: ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE/FULL PROFESSOR
NC State University
Position Number: 7002Minimum Experience/Education: Candidates must
have a PhD in Biological and Agricultural Engineering or a closely
related engineering field, and a strong background in one or more ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=fd823fb8a0&e=9bdc1fd3d9

ASSOCIATE PROVOST FOR INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE
University of Denver
Department Introduction:The University of Denver is an international,
research-focused institution. Our scenic campus has stood since 1890
in the heart of a thriving city with booming economic, ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=3e5c092e11&e=9bdc1fd3d9

DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL WORK
Saint Augustine's College
The Department of Psychology and Sociology at Saint Augustine’s
College invites applicants and nominations for the position of
Director of the Social Work Program at the rank of Associate
Professor. ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=2f069e09da&e=9bdc1fd3d9

JOHN MEE ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
Miami University
Management: John Mee Assistant Professor of Strategic Management to
contribute to the central elements of the departmental and divisional
mission by combining outstanding instruction with excellent ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=9d082a5513&e=9bdc1fd3d9

CATALOG LIBRARIAN
Pellissippi State Community College
CATALOG LIBRARIAN
(Tenure Track, 12 Month Position)
JOB #300380 (Library Services)

Master’s of Library Science degree from an ALA-accredited college or
university. Knowledgeable in cataloging ...
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=e792018c14&e=9bdc1fd3d9

LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION?
To make sure you get the next issue of our newsletter, please add
newsroom at insidehighered.com to your address book.

(c) Copyright 2011 Inside Higher Ed.
http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=<http://insidehighered.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ed1d2ff123b6b83dd97022f88&id=2703108833&e=9bdc1fd3d9>
2703108833&e=9bdc1fd3d9

Inside Higher Ed  -  1015 18th Street NW, Suite 1100  -  Washington, DC
20036

Sent from my mobile device

Vincent T. Harris
Ohio University- vh219210 at ohio.edu
Graduate Student in College Student Personnel
Teach For America - 2007 Houston Corps
Auburn University, Alabama
Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications/Marketing Minor

"If It Wasn't Hard, Everyone Would Do It" - *A League of Their Own *