[Pisigmaalpha] Meeting Minutes, 10/14

Kaufman, Alexandria ak912410 at ohio.edu
Tue Oct 14 21:57:51 EDT 2014

Hello all,
Hope your week is going well, thanks for everyone who showed up to the meeting tonight! This may be kind of a long email, but I have a lot to discuss and there is a lot coming up!

First of all, we discussed Pizza with the Profs. Blair is still trying to hash out times and dates with Dr. Goldman, but as of right now, we are aiming for the last Wednesday of this month (10/29), or the following Wednesday (which I believe is November 5). Once we get that finalized, we need to make a poster and plaster them EVERYWHERE. We want people to show up because it is a super fun event. I will keep you all posted on details regarding this event.

Next, the Chipotle fundraiser we were going to try to do is cancelled. Apparently, they are entirely booked until the spring semester. Soooo, in December we will give them a call back and try again! But just because we are not having a fundraiser does not mean we will not have money. Upon speaking with Dr. Grant (our adviser, for those who are unaware), I have learned that the Political Science Department is willing to give us money to host events!

Our first big event is next Thursday, October 23 at 11:30 am in Baker 231. People start seating at 11:30 and Justin will start speaking at noon. There will be food provided by Jimmy John's (Yay!) and it should be pretty interesting. I would really appreciate it if you showed up (class permitting), even it just to help set up or tear down. Setting up will probably begin around 11, and tear down at about 1:30. I REALLY need people to step up and help with this, because this speaker donates a lot of time and money to this school, and he is an alum. He is excited to talk, and I don't want him to think he wasted his time. So please help me out!

The Political Science Department is hosting an event on Wednesday, October 22 from 12:00-1:30pm. It is open to everyone, and there will be pizza! I will be there passing out fliers explaining our club and how to join, hopefully to recruit more people. If anyone wants to come join me, feel free. Once again, FREE PIZZA.

The last thing we discussed is the possibility of hosting a Political Science Film Series. This would be something we did over the course of the year, playing probably one movie this semester and potentially two next semester. We are excited to hopefully see this event through all the way, but there are a lot of working parts that go into it.
-Kyle is calling Baker Theater about open dates and times and cost within the next week. We are hoping on having our first movie the third week in November. If there are no availabilities there, we are going to aim for either Walter hall or Morton.
-I will be emailing Dr. Grant on how to obtain the rights to show movies, and inquiring about the cost of those as well.
-We have come up with a few potential series topics, and now need movie suggestions. So what I need from everyone is at least one potential documentary you believe would fit into one of these categories (more than one would be super awesome, but I'm not going to ask that much of you all, just one!)
-Here are the categories:
1.Environmental politics
2.Middle East politics
3.African Politics
4.War on Drugs
5.Legalization of marijuana within politics
-Not one of these topics is the frontrunner yet, and I have to have it approved by Dr. Grant, but having a few movies to choose from when we actually pick a topic would be fantastic.
-Once we get the ball rolling on this, I will need EVERYONE'S help. We need to make posters and put them up all over the place. This is an event we will need to make known so we can have as many people attend as possible. We need to notify professors, write on blackboards, the whole 9 yards. But that step will not happen until we get it off the ground a bit.

Finally, we will NOT be having a meeting next Tuesday the 21st, but aim for having one the following Tuesday, on the 28th - same time, same place. Please attend, as I am sure we will have a lot to discuss!
DON'T FORGET TO ADVERTISE OUR OCT. 23rd EVENT. VERY IMPORTANT!

Sorry this was so long! Feel free to email me with any questions, comments, or concerns!
Thanks,
Ally Kaufman
President, Pi Sigma Alpha
ak912410 at ohio.edu<mailto:ak912410 at ohio.edu>