[OUWC] ZIPPER.

Bales, Savannah sb295208 at ohio.edu
Tue Oct 9 21:18:23 EDT 2012

Ladies,

A note on catch, which is a big thing we'll be working on these next couple practices: We NEED to find that zipper in the boat. Not only does it add an enormous amount to your stroke, but the efficiency of reaching further helps with set, and propelling the boat forward much more with each stroke. A lot more natural run comes with this stroke-lengthening technique. Take a second and check out the picture I've pasted below; this is exactly what Megan and I are talking about when we ask for that "zipper." There is a clear-cut distinction to which side each athlete is leaning. If you couldn't see their oars, you would still know what side each oarsmen is, based on their reach and lean, say if they were bucket rigged (which for those of you who aren't familiar with the term, is port-starboard-starboard-port or starboard-port-port-starboard in a 4).

Let us know if you have any questions about this. A lot of focus will be geared toward this for Speakmon. Note that their outside hand is reaching out over the water. A combination of the proper body pivot forward, and lowering of the inside shoulder will help everyone obtain this beautiful zipper that's shown below!!

See you all in the a.m.,
Savannah and Megan

[X]