[OUWC] The coolest rowing site ever!!! Read this!!!

maddison mattey maddisonmattey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 17:48:43 EST 2011

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all doing well on finals and are all geared up for break, but I just wanted to show you a really cool website that I use to keep myself motivated when erging.

The Concept 2 website (Concept 2 is the company that makes our ergs) has a really cool, free, tool, called the online logbook. You just make an account on their website (here: http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/log_start.asp?action=logout ). Then, every time you erg, you can enter the number of meters you erged and the time it took you to complete that distance. It keeps track of your scores and shows you trends in your workouts. Also, there are 3 different daily sample workouts offered. You can submit your times for common distances (2k, 5k, 10k, etc) and post them on the scoreboards to see how your times stack up to everyone else on the website! (I love that feature, I've looked and if I consider myself an adaptive rower, I am like 9th or 11th on the boards!).

They also have challenges that you can choose to complete. For example, sometimes if you row more that x number of meters in a week and enter it to your log, you are entered into a drawing for all kinds of cool free rowing clothes! For they holiday season, they have a really great challenge going on, that I think we should all participate in!

For the 2011 Holiday Challenge, we'll be rowing and skiing for disaster relief organizations, both international and in our home state of Vermont, which was hit very hard by Hurricane Irene.
For every person who completes at least 100k during the challenge, Concept2 will donate $.02 for each kilometer (1000 meters) you accumulate to your choice of the following organizations:
	* Vermont Disaster Relief Fund
	* American Red Cross Disaster Relief (International)
	* Unicef—Emergency Relief Programs
Once you get beyond 100k, we'll donate $.04 per kilometer (for kids and adaptive athletes, the $.04 rate will take effect at 50k). The usual prizes of pin and certificate will be awarded as well.
Our goal through this group effort is to raise $30,000 to support these causes, and every bit adds up! Since adding the donation component to the 2008 Holiday Challenge, together we've raised over $80,000 for many great causes!

It goes from Thanksgiving until Christmas eve, so that is the first 3 weeks of the plan Megan gave us! I am a nerd and figured out how many meters I would row if I did every workout at exactly the target pace, and during the challenge time, I will row 135, 647 meters (I think, if I did all the math right. But im pretty sure I did). So, that means, I could raise $3,425.88!  (p.s. by the end of winter training, I'm scheduled to row 166,436 meters :o!)

So, sorry for such a long email, consider reading it a nice study break, or something. But, check out the concept 2 site, it has a ton of really cool features that can be really helpful when trying to train on your own!!

Have a wonderful break, come back to Athens to visit, and I'll see you all next year :)
Maddie :)