[Ous-veterans] Welcome Back Veterans!

Wymer, Mary wymerm at ohio.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:21:18 EDT 2016

To All of our Veteran Students, Dependents and Children of Veterans!

I want to welcome you back for Fall Semester, 2016-17, and hope the you are all getting off to a great start! And I always want to thank all of our Veterans for their service to each one of us and to our country.  I want to thank the parents and spouses who served and whose benefits allow you to attend Ohio University Southern.

Some information, that many of you may already know, is that the VA has quit certifying courses for students if the courses are not on your DARS.  They won't allow additional classes in areas that you have already met the requirement in.  That means you would not receive benefits for those classes.  Most of you probably know this already because this began back in the spring and summer and I have already worked with many of you. If you need help with this please contact me or your Faculty Advisor.  I have a "Certification Request for Non Program Courses", that I along with your faculty advisor could submit to Athens Veterans Services Office in Athens and they might be able to get it approved through the VA. It has to be a justifiable reason.  A couple of examples would be if a student was retaking a required  course because they did not meet the grade requirement the first time it was taken, the VA would pay for that.  Students who are in their last semester of degree completion may add "non-required" courses to bring them up to full-time status.  This is only acceptable in the last semester before degree completion.  Also, we can sometimes get courses approved if a student changes or adds to their degree plan/stack.  For example, if you are in a BMT program and plan to continue on to complete a BSAM, we could add the BSAM to your record and have those courses approved.  But, the new program has to be on the system to do this.

One other thing!  More information will be coming your way about our Veterans Tribute Program, which is being held on Thursday, November 10, 2016, in the Bowman Auditorium. But at this point we would love to have you send a picture(or pictures!) of yourself or any family member that has served in the military. We ran a slide show of the pictures on the big screen last year and it was wonderful.  Teresa McKenzie put that slide show together.  We would love to have a picture of each one of you!  You can E-mail your picture and a little information like your name, branch of the military, dates served, special commendations - anything that you would be willing to share with us to Teresa. Teresa's E-mail is mckenzt1 at ohio.edu<mailto:mckenzt1 at ohio.edu>. You can send them to me also and I can get them to Teresa.  My E-mail is wymerm at ohio.edu<mailto:wymerm at ohio.edu>.  And when you send your picture, you can thank Teresa for her service!

Warmest Regards to each of you,

Mary Ann Wymer, M.A.
Coordinator of Non-Traditional and
Veteran Student Services