[Ous-lp-rp13] Follow-up

Larson, William larsonw at ohio.edu
Sat Feb 22 22:25:28 EST 2020

Hi Everyone!

I have been pondering the class session today. I was pleased that the weather was conducive to travel.

I enjoyed our conversations and discussions. They appeared, at least to me, to contribute to a relaxed and yet productive learning experience.

I appreciated the opportunity to learn more about you. For that matter, you may have learned more about me that you wanted to know. I apologize if that was the case.

>From a human behavior perspective, some of you shared openly during the Item #2 discussion regarding acceptable behaviors that you do not understand, and others of you remained relatively silent.

I hope that the anecdotes from the past that I shared with you did not I portray me as an extremely harsh person. While I have not always succeeded, I have tried  to be a supporter of underdogs and particularly of students. I do not appreciate bullies. However, I have tried approach such matters in an considerate manner. I have actually written letters of recommendation for folks who I have successfully recommended for firing, particularly if the jobs they were seeking seemed to be a good fit for them.

I think that I learned this propensity from my 5'2", 110 pound Mother. A large, rugged outdoorsman was making fun of other men who were beginning to suffer dementia. Mother, who was probably in her 80s by then, told the man that she felt certain his parents did not raise him to exhibit such behavior. I encouraged her to stop admonishing the man for fear that he would hit her.  Mother, per normal, ignored my advice. Several months later a friend of the large, rugged, outdoorsman  phoned me The friend indicated that the man had requested that I ask Mother to stop picking on him.

I obviously was astonished. I told the friend that the large, rugged, outdoorsman and my mother were both over 21 and that they should resolve the matter themselves.

Students who only knew me as a faculty member and other students who only knew me a superintendent were taking a course together of which I was not the instructor. It was reported to me after one of the class sessions that they "had exchanged harsh words" regarding what I was really like. The students who knew me as a faculty member expressed that I was nurturing. The students who knew me as a superintendent expressed that I was hard core. I probably have learned to exhibit both forms of behavior, depending upon the circumstances.

As you will learn, folks can become very belligerent toward an administrator. I did my best not to accept such behavior. A published book has one of my sayings from my superintendent days. When folks were hollering me, I watched and waited for their screaming and tone to reach a crescendo and to begin to subside. I then would indicate that when I wanted something from someone, I would be very sweet and kind, and that their negative behavior was doing absolutely nothing to encourage me to help them. The looks on their faces and the changes in their behaviors thereafter were absolutely amazing.

The next class session is scheduled for Saturday, March 7, which is in two weeks. Hope the remainder of the weekend is good for you.

Until then, Bill