[Ous-lp-rp13] Follow-up

Larson, William larsonw at ohio.edu
Sun Sep 29 16:21:24 EDT 2019

Hi Amanda, Amy, Angelica, Ashton,, Brandy, Brittany, Cody, Cory, Danielle, Dakota, Dustin, Ian, Jessica, Mary, Michelle, Molly, Nicholas, Saretta, and Tony,

  1.  Yesterday's Seminar:

  1.  I hope you found beneficial the opportunity to interact with Chris Jordan and Sara Turner, current principals.

  *   My objective is to provide you with opportunities to interact with beginning, seasoned, elementary, middle school, and high school, and female and male administrators.
  *   Their experiences are current and most likely relevant.

  1.  You are praised for the questions that posed to the Chis and Sara. The questions and their answered seemed thoughtful.
  2.  The focus of the EDAD 6400 course for which you are registered is the principalship. So interacting with principals seems like a useful aspect of a class session.

  1.  Preparation for OAE, Educational Leadership Version:

  1.  You are praised for completing the end-of the-seminar exercise in which you identified the aspects of the OAE framework for which you feel comfortable and uncomfortable.
  2.  The purpose of the exercise was to gain an overall perspective of the your comfort levels with each of the portions of the framework.

  *   Each aspect of the framework could be on the version of the OAE that you are given.
  *   In case that you are not aware, there are multiple versions of the Educational Leadership version of the OAE.

  *   So asking others, who have taken the 015 version of the assessment what was on their version of the assessment may be somewhat helpful, but probably is close to representing an act of futility.
  *   While possible, I think that the likelihood of receiving the same or a similar version, as taken by someone else, is rather slim.
  *   What appears important is for you to prepare for each of the aspects of the framework, regardless of whether it is relevant to your school.

  *   For example, I was going, but chose not to include in yesterday's agenda a focus on teachers and learners of English as a Second Language, sometimes referenced (a) as (TESOL) Teachers of English to speakers of other languages and  (b) as (ESL & ELL) English as a Second Language Learners and English Language Learners.
  *   My guess is that some of the districts in which you work have such programs, but most do not.
  *   This item will be on the next agenda. Among other things, ELL/ESL/TESOL can be on the 015 assessment.
  *   In addition, one of your colleagues shared with me at the end of the seminar that two individuals, who had recently taken the assessment, had extended response questions regarding this topic.

  1.  You also might prepare for the assessment based upon your comfort zone with its aspects.

  *   As I have mentioned, there are (a) multiple-choice questions, (b) extended response questions, and (c) a case-study.
  *   My guess is that each of you has a preference and a distain for these aspects of the assessment.

  *   Multiple choice questions:

  *   As you might guess, each of the answers to the multiple-choice questions tends to appear to be accurate.
  *   So, you are charged with selecting the best choice among multiple appearing accurate answers.

  *   Extended response and case studies:

  *   Reportedly, the assessment-takers (a) fail to address the questions directly, often digressing, (b) fail to explain their answers, and (c) fail to offer their answers in a sequential manner.

  *   Next I suspect that some of you are more comfortable and less comfortable with standardized examinations.

  *   For this reason, taking the practice 015 assessment sometime during the spring semester seems like a good idea.

  *   Finally, I would suggest that you take the actual 015 assessment shortly before or shortly after the end of the spring semester (2020),

  *   BTW, previous assessment-takers have suggested that doing the extended response questions and case study first and then doing multiple-choice questions works best.

  1.  Consideration of the aspects of learning that are being measured:

  1.  I have been fascinated with the manner that the state has measured student achievement since the process began in he late 80s with a proficiency test that was part of Omnibus SB 140.
  2.  While I have been critical of some of the aspects, I have thought that overall the endeavor has been thoughtful.

  *   Fir example, one of the challenges is to craft a measurement that is applicable for students and teachers in districts with affluent populations that are authentically focused on learning and in districts with relatively dysfunctional populations that are do not know ways to help their children engage in learning,
  *   Please note that I avoided labeling the districts as being affluent or indigent. While districts with affluent populations tend to do well with the state metrics, I sense that an authentic commitment to learning is more important than the amount of money that a family has.
  *   For that matter, there are affluent and indigent folks who are and who are not authentically committed to learning.

  1.  You might be interested in examining publications that address the ODE metrics. They can be found below:

  *   Chillicothe Gazette: Local education not accurately measured by state grades, officials say. See https://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/2019/09/28/officials-local-school-grades-dont-tell-full-story/3773508002/<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chillicothegazette.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2F2019%2F09%2F28%2Fofficials-local-school-grades-dont-tell-full-story%2F3773508002%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ce729aeba71474ee7522d08d7451a99f1%7Cf3308007477c4a70888934611817c55a%7C0%7C0%7C637053852857435622&sdata=K2IODtM1GmJ5Wx3fxQDHzNbGbjFraLw8IAyJNxfQNjU%3D&reserved=0>
  *   Cleveland Plain Dealer: Ranking each Ohio school district, adjusted for income with the 2019 report card grades. See https://www.cleveland.com/news/g66l-2019/09/2280878c3e2692/ranking-every-ohio-school-district-adjusted-for-income-with-2019-report-card-grades.html<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fnews%2Fg66l-2019%2F09%2F2280878c3e2692%2Franking-every-ohio-school-district-adjusted-for-income-with-2019-report-card-grades.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ce729aeba71474ee7522d08d7451a99f1%7Cf3308007477c4a70888934611817c55a%7C0%7C0%7C637053852857445626&sdata=86veMJK7KstCx8n%2Bp5c3BuoP5gEstRBrA8YjIf9GPl4%3D&reserved=0>>
  *   ODE rankings including those based upon (a) performance indices, (b) valued-added progress, (c) gifted rankings. See < http://education.ohio.gov/lists_and_rankings>.

  1.  Evaluation of first EDAD 6400 assignment:

  1.  My plans are to send the evaluations tomorrow, Monday, September 30.
  2.  If tomorrow does not work, you should receive them on Tuesday, October 1.

  1.  Questions or suggestions: If you have questions or suggestions, please share them with me.

Hope you have a pleasant and productive week.

Until then, Bill