[Ous-lp-rp13] Garbage Can Model / Political Leadership / Laissez-faire

Anthony Gillman gl_agillman at seovec.org
Thu Jun 28 09:00:39 EDT 2018

*Intersections of... - Garbage Can Model of Decision Making - Political
Leadership Style- Laissez-faire Leadership StyleThe Garbage Can Model (GCM)
is the idea that organizational decisions are made by a random matching of
various problems to solutions or vice versa that have been gathered by the
organization. By chance, some pairings work while others do not.  These
opportunities for pairing or decision making are referred to as ‘choice
opportunities.’A Political  Leadership (PL) Style is when the leader uses
his/her abilities to gather resources for the intentions of promoting and
achieving organizational goals.  This is done by strategically using these
resources to deal with an unstable and fluid environment.The leader who
removes himself/herself from typical leadership duties and decision making
is considered to have a Laissez-faire Leadership (L-f) Style.I want to
first clarify that for intersection purposes, we will have to assume that
we are referring to a Laissez-faire leadership style having members who
lack skills, knowledge, and experience.  If members are intrinsically
motivated and talented, then L-f would have few intersection components
with GCM and L-f. Also, to try and avoid repeating the concepts, we will
order our descriptive intersections GCM, PL, and L-f respectively.  For
example, the first commonality descriptions of the three concepts is chaos
(GCM), jungle (PL), and struggle for informal hierarchy of power (L-f).Each
concept gathers resources in the sense that GCM has a compilation of
problems and solutions; PL gathers allies, networks, and coalitions; while
although absent, L-f leaders still provide tools and resources for members
to use.  All three concepts tend to make decisions randomly without
structure, often through coercion, and lacking any kind of micromanagement.
Finally, they all also arguably lack collective efficacy. If we explore the
GCM and PL intersections while leaving out L-f, we will see that decision
makers are mostly disconnected from problems and solutions, but the leader
can help to foster better decisions by understanding the political arena in
which the decisions affect. The L-f style will allow for an informal
political arena to develop. This is due to the lack of managerial
leadership which likely causes a power vacuum.  Finally, as a pair, GCM and
L-f have strong intersections as well.  Both concepts lack rules,
preferences and processes are unclear, the value of a leader is not
emphasized, and neither concepts are change oriented. Tony Gillman​ Garbage
Can Model / Political Leadership / Lais...
<https://docs.google.com/a/seovec.org/document/d/1aw80CvmXZIygn7fJZW8YNSrzeYeXBFdRx9r2zTM8-Qg/edit?usp=drive_web>​
*

--
*Happiness is a proper balance of preparation and recreation.*