[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020 Response to Answer for Question #3

James Ward gl_jward at seovec.org
Tue Jun 26 15:46:07 EDT 2018

Brittany, your observation is similar to the observations that I have also
had. The school that I teach at is intermingled with teachers who have high
self-efficacy rates and teachers that have low self-efficacy rates.
Typically the teachers that have low self-efficacy rates are those who have
been teaching for an extended period of time, and the teachers who seem to
have a high self-efficacy rate tend to be the younger teachers. I don’t
know yet if there is a correlation between the two, but I can’t help but
think that maybe all the change that education has seen in the past decade
has played into the lack of self-efficacy. I think one way that veteran and
rookie teachers alike can handle this issue is by staying ahead of changes
and by continuing to try new methods and ideas.

Like you school, my school also has collective efficacy on both large and
small scales. My TBT, just like yours, is centered on discussing way that
we can help our students grow to their highest potential. After we discuss
the ways that our students can grow, we work on the steps that we can take
as a grade level to help the students meet the goals that we have set for
them and the goals they have set for themselves. The most important thing
that I see that you made and the point that I love the most is that you all
share the same vision. When teachers can collectively share a vision, we
can reach goals much easier.

Self-efficacy exists within most teachers, especially fresh new teachers
who are eager to make a difference. When in college, I observed a teacher
who didn’t have much self-efficacy. She would often laugh when I’d speak of
making a difference in children’s lives. She’d say things like, “Oh, I
remember when I thought I could make a difference.” She did not believe in
her capacity to make a difference. She felt all the outside influences in
children’s lives predetermined if her students would succeed or not. This
leads me to believe that she had an external locus of control. There are a
few teachers at my school with similar self-efficacy as this teacher.
However, I attempt to surround myself with like-minded people and every day
I witness teachers with a strong sense of self-efficacy- those who believe
they can make a difference in student lives, regardless of any outside
influence. Interestingly enough, the teacher I mentioned quit teaching very
shortly after I observed in her classroom.
Collective efficacy can be found both small and large scale in my building.
At a smaller scale our fifth grade team truly believes we can have a
positive effect on our student’s lives. During TBT grade level meetings
this can be seen throughout the entirety of the meeting, we constantly
strive to better ourselves, so that we can better our students. It is a
collective effort, and we all share the same vision for our students. By
the same token, this mentality of collective efficacy can be found building
wide. The majority of staff members share the same perception that our
building as a whole can make a difference. I believe one factor that has
affected our collective efficacy is our new principal. Prior to adopting
him, we had a principal who had basically given up, and was waiting for
retirement. The school climate was unenthused, and it was extremely
disorganized. With our new administrator, however, he has restored
collective efficacy by convincing us we do make a difference. He is
constantly sending emails telling us just that.

--
*Codie Ward*

*Vinton Elementary*
*4th Grade Language Arts and Science*