[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Response to Answer for Question # 3

Matney, Mary mm933108 at ohio.edu
Fri Jun 22 22:03:57 EDT 2018

Danielle,

Something you said that I can fully sympathize (yes, sympathize) with is the turnover of your administration! I contend that changes in administration would be the biggest detriment to the collective efficacy of a building & a district alike. Everything feels uneasy during such a transition, and I agree completely that the acceptance is slow going. It's hard to get a fire going when the flames keep going out! Since we opened our new building in 2009, we have had 5 different administrators. Talk about difficult to build a community of confidence! When I read, "According to the text, Bandura found that “(1)student achievement was significantly and positively related to collective efficacy, and (2) collective efficacy had a great effect on student achievement than did student socioeconomic status.” (Hoy&Miskel, 9th Edition, pg. 192-193)." it hit me the same way it hit you! It doesn't just effect the teachers, it effects the students in an even greater way when the collective efficacy element is missing in a building. That was a light-bulb moment for me! It's like we sit back and wonder, "What can I do?", "How can I reach my students better?", but it's not just about ME--it's about the group as a whole, too! So many working parts, and I'm going to be honest--it boggles my mind at times when thinking about what all goes into creating a quality school that works!

Great food for thought! Thanks!!

Mary