[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Response to Question #3

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Fri Jun 22 08:07:38 EDT 2018

Ian,

You are fortunate that you have a boss and a leader that exhibits
self-efficacy in your building. I believe that a positive leader who seeks
to gain positive outcomes from students receives great respect from
everyone. This is when transformational leadership could take place and
allow others to follow and change their practices or attitudes. It is awful
that the teacher across the hall acts the way she does. Have you ever said
anything to her or to anyone else about it? I assume as administrators we
will face these behavior issues with staff. As an administrator I would
want to know if a staff member was treating students in this manner.

That is wonderful that your 7th grade team has collective-efficacy. I know
that a team that is positive, sets goals, and expecations builds a persons
motivation and inspires them to be the best leader or person they can be.
On the other hand, you have cases like your 6th grade team. Those are the
ones that have the garbage can affect. Trying to get a hand on things and
take charge or a group like that is very difficult. As an administrator
would you step in here and say something? What would you do to ensure
members of the group make the time and get their priorities straight?

Thanks for sharing!!

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Ian Snyder <isnyder at minfordfalcons.net>
wrote:

>             Self-efficacy and collective-efficacy can greatly impact the
> environment of a school. Both of which I see present in my school district.
>
>             The principal in my building is a prime example of
> self-efficacy. As an administrator he does not look to target the “bad”
> kids and put the label on their back that ultimately dictates their overall
> behavior. Instead, he looks for the positive and tries to build a
> relationship with the students that tend to have behavioral issues so that
> the students get the feeling that they belong and that they can play a
> positive role in the classroom. My principal uses effective behaviors and
> actions to attempt to gain a positive outcome from the students. On the
> other end of the spectrum there are a couple teachers in the hallway that I
> work down that basically shun students from their classroom so that they do
> not have to deal with their actions and act like nothing is wrong. The
> teacher across the hall from me generally knows a student will be late for
> class because his locker is down a separate hallway. The teacher will close
> her door and lock it and tell the student that he needs to go to the office
> to get a tardy pass, that are only used at the beginning of school, so that
> he will be another 5-10 minutes late for class. So now that the student is
> late, he now has to be even more late, disrupt the class, and makes the
> secretary have to fill out a tardy slip.
>
>             When I think of collective efficacy I think of our 7thgrade
> team. I have sat in on a few of their team meetings and the collaboration
> and positive goal setting for the grade level and individual students shows
> their will power and desire to leave an impact on the students’ lives. The
> opposite of this is the 6thgrade team. This is the team that I take part
> the most in and the teachers that are involved skip the meetings or always
> have plans right after school so that they cannot be present for the
> meeting (even though they are “required” to be there 30 minutes after the
> students leave). I can tell how not working as a team has a negative impact
> on the students because the teachers do not have a common goal to achieve
> the needs for many of the students.

*Amanda Luttrell*
*Zahn's Corner Middle School*
*Sixth Grade Language Arts*