[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question # 3

Anthony Gillman gl_agillman at seovec.org
Fri Jun 22 00:18:17 EDT 2018

*The fact that I teach high school geometry will should immediately clue
most of you in to how I will begin to answer the question about the manner
in which self-efficacy and collective efficacy exist in my school.  I began
this past school year much like I have in the past years by asking students
to raise their hand if they normally struggle or haven’t been successful in
past math classes. Not including the honors course that I teach, I had
approximately 80-90% of my students to raise their hand.  As you can
imagine, this sets up a bit of a challenge when it comes to successful
results. I believe this to be an example of both self-efficacy and
collective efficacy. Unfortunately this group of students is not an
exception to the norm. This most definitely affects the math department
(teachers) as a whole and usually finds its way into many of our
conversations.  Personally, I understand that this is an absolute external
force that comes into play, but try to remain steadfast in my journey to be
an effective teacher for all my students. I am able to keep a high sense of
self-efficacy by remembering that I will always be able to improve on my
craft.Another example would be many of our athletic programs.  We have
developed a culture of expecting to lose and seems evident when watching
the students compete.  There are many times when the students showcase
their ability to equally compete or even outperform their opponents, but
when the momentum shifts to the other team we find it difficult to fight
through the moment and end up accepting mentally that the loss is
inevitable.  You can usually see it in their change in play as well as on
their faces. This is not for every sport, but many of them fall into this
scenario.On a more positive note, our school has developed a high sense of
collective efficacy when it comes to going the extra mile for students.  As
an organization, most of us have a belief that are school focuses on
student needs especially when their basic needs are not being met out of
school. This type of belief has a positive effect for our staff’s intrinsic
motivation to keep doing a good job no matter the academic deficiencies we
may encounter.*

--
*Happiness is a proper balance of preparation and recreation.*